Laplace Transform (First Order Differential Equation With Initial Value)

In summary, the homework statement is to solve the equation y'' + 8y = e^-2t*sint, with initial condition y(0) = 0. TheAttempt at a Solution says that the equation can be solved using partial fraction decomposition, and that the first term should be L{y'}. Occasionally the answers in the back of the book are wrong.
cas159

Homework Statement

Y' + 8y = e^-2t*sint, with initial condition y(0) = 0

Homework Equations

L{e^(-2t)sin(t)} = 1/((s+2)²+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I've been working on this one for about an hour, I really don't know why but I'm having major problems with these types of problems, whether i don't understand how to set it up or I don't understand partial fraction decomposition, I do not know, but this is what I have done.

(For reference, L{function} is the notation I will use).

L{y''} + 8L{y} = L{e^(-2t)*sin(t)}

sY(s) - y(0) + 8Y(s) = 1/((s+2)² + 1)

1/((s+2)² + 1) = 1/(s²+4s+5)

(s+8)Y(s) = 1/(s²+4s+5)

Y(s) = 1/((s²+4s+5)(s+8))

Now setting up my Partial Fraction Decomposition

As+B/(s²+4s+5) + C/(s+8) = 1/((s²+4s+5)(s+8))

As² + Bs + 8As + 8B + Cs² + 4Cs + 5c = 1

(A+C)s² + (8A + B + 4C)s + 8B + 5C = 1

Setting up my equations:

A + 0B + C = 0
8A + B + 4C = 0
0A + 8B + 5C = 1

I'm getting that A = -1/37, B = 4/37, and C = 1/37, the rest I can do, but the book says that B should be 6/37, can anyone figure out what I did improperly, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are the same numbers I get, and I don't see anything you did that was wrong, other than a typo in this line:
cas159 said:
L{y''} + 8L{y} = L{e^(-2t)*sin(t)}

That first term should be L{y'}.

Occasionally the answers in the back of the book are wrong, so that might be what happened here. Continue on with your solution, which I get as y(t) = (1/5)e-8t - (2/5)e-2tsin(t) - (1/5)e-2tcos(t). I got this by solving the DE directly, using the method of undetermined coefficients.

Sorry I did not get back sooner, thanks a lot for your response, turns out a friend of mine got the same answer and said it was most likely a book error as well. But yes, much appreciated.

Related to Laplace Transform (First Order Differential Equation With Initial Value)

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is a powerful tool in solving differential equations and is widely used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

2. How is the Laplace transform used to solve first order differential equations?

The Laplace transform can be used to solve first order differential equations by converting the differential equation into an algebraic equation that can be easily solved. This is done by applying the Laplace transform to both sides of the equation and then using algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown function.

3. What is the initial value in a first order differential equation?

The initial value in a first order differential equation refers to the value of the dependent variable at the starting point of the independent variable. In other words, it is the value of the function at time zero.

4. How is the initial value used in solving first order differential equations using the Laplace transform?

The initial value is used as a boundary condition in solving first order differential equations using the Laplace transform. It is used to determine the constants in the solution of the algebraic equation obtained after applying the Laplace transform. This allows for the specific solution of the differential equation for a given initial value.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Laplace transform and first order differential equations?

The Laplace transform and first order differential equations have numerous real-life applications, particularly in engineering and physics. They are used in the analysis of electrical circuits, control systems, and heat transfer. They are also used in modeling physical systems such as mass-spring-damper systems and radioactive decay. Additionally, they are used in solving problems involving growth and decay, such as population growth and drug concentration in the body.