Laplace transform of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the Laplace Transform of various functions, including $\mathscr{L}\{e^{3a-2bt}\}$ and $\mathscr{L}\{(t^2-3)^2\}$. The steps involved in finding these transforms include pulling out constant factors and expanding brackets.
Drain Brain
please help me solve this problem

$\mathscr{L}\{e^{3a-2bt}\}$

here's my attempt

$\mathscr{L}\{e^{3a}\cdot e^{-2bt}\}$ from here I couldn't continue

I looked up my table of transform but nothing matches the problem above. I'm not sure if the first shift formula would work here. please help.

regards :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my! I didn't notice that $e^a$ is just a constant. I can pull it out and take the laplace transform of $e^{-2bt}$ :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
please help me solve this problem

$\mathscr{L}\{e^{3a-2bt}\}$

here's my attempt

$\mathscr{L}\{e^{3a}\cdot e^{-2bt}\}$ from here I couldn't continue

I looked up my table of transform but nothing matches the problem above. I'm not sure if the first shift formula would work here. please help.

regards :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my! I didn't notice that $e^a$ is just a constant. I can pull it out and take the laplace transform of $e^{-2bt}$ :rolleyes:

Yes you pull out $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{e}^{3a} \end{align*}$ as a constant factor. The remaining function should be easy to find the Laplace Transform of :)

yes solved it already.

I have another problem here

$\mathscr{L}\{(t^2-3)^2\}$

what's the first step here. I couldn't see any transform that matches the function from my table.

regards.

Drain Brain said:
yes solved it already.

I have another problem here

$\mathscr{L}\{(t^2-3)^2\}$

what's the first step here. I couldn't see any transform that matches the function from my table.

regards.

Expand out the brackets.

Prove It said:
Expand out the brackets.

$\mathscr{L}\{t^4-6t^2+9\}$

now $\frac{4!}{s^{4+1}}-\frac{6(2!)}{s^{2+1}}+\frac{9}{s}$

$\frac{24}{s^{5}}-\frac{12}{s^3}+\frac{9}{s}$ is this correct?

Drain Brain said:

$\mathscr{L}\{t^4-6t^2+9\}$

now $\frac{4!}{s^{4+1}}-\frac{6(2!)}{s^{2+1}}+\frac{9}{s}$

$\frac{24}{s^{5}}-\frac{12}{s^3}+\frac{9}{s}$ is this correct?

Looks good to me :)

Related to Laplace transform of a function

1. What is the Laplace transform of a function?

The Laplace transform of a function is a mathematical tool used to convert a function in the time domain into a function in the complex frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform is calculated using an integral formula, which involves multiplying the function by the exponential function e^(-st) and integrating over the entire range of t. The result is a function of the complex variable s, known as the Laplace transform of the original function.

3. What is the significance of the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to solve differential equations and analyze systems in a simpler and more efficient way. It also has applications in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

4. Can any function be transformed using the Laplace transform?

Technically, yes. However, the Laplace transform is most useful for functions that are piecewise continuous and of exponential order. Some functions may not have a Laplace transform, while others may require advanced techniques to calculate it.

5. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the process of converting a function in the complex frequency domain back to the time domain. It allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform, and is usually calculated using a partial fraction expansion or a table of Laplace transforms.