Laplace transform vs phasor analysis in circuit analysis

Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I recently acquainted myself with Laplace transform, and it appears that it has some relations with phasor analysis. This observation stems from the fact that while in Laplace transform, we have ##s = \sigma + j \omega## as the variable, in phasor analysis, we just use ##j\omega,## apparently just setting ##\sigma = 0.## Is there any other way the two methods are related?

I have seen phasor analysis being used only for sinusoidal steady state analysis, while Laplace transform gives the transient solution since the initial conditions are built into it, and we solve the circuit with that. Laplace transform also allows us to incorporate impulse-type voltages and currents in the circuit, wherefrom it seems to me that Laplace transform is a more powerful tool. Can Laplace transform be used to do sinusoidal steady state analysis as well? I don't see why not, but need a confirmation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, absolutely related. When s=jω, you get the steady state sinusoidal solutions, otherwise there is an exponential growth (or decay) element in the solutions. So the Laplace transform is the more general case that can be used to obtain transient and/or steady state solutions.

• Love
Likes berkeman, DeBangis21, alan123hk and 1 other person
DaveE said:
Yes, absolutely related. When s=jω, you get the steady state sinusoidal solutions, otherwise there is an exponential growth (or decay) element in the solutions. So the Laplace transform is the more general case that can be used to obtain transient and/or steady state solutions.
I will have to go through that video once again to get my brain straight, but I understood this much that if I use Laplace transform and get a decay term, then in the ##\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty}## that decay term basically ##\rightarrow 0,## so I am left with the steady state solution only. Thanks.

Likes DaveE
Wrichik Basu said:
I recently acquainted myself with Laplace transform, and it appears that it has some relations with phasor analysis. This observation stems from the fact that while in Laplace transform, we have ##s = \sigma + j \omega## as the variable, in phasor analysis, we just use ##j\omega,## apparently just setting ##\sigma = 0.## Is there any other way the two methods are related?

I have seen phasor analysis being used only for sinusoidal steady state analysis, while Laplace transform gives the transient solution since the initial conditions are built into it, and we solve the circuit with that. Laplace transform also allows us to incorporate impulse-type voltages and currents in the circuit, wherefrom it seems to me that Laplace transform is a more powerful tool. Can Laplace transform be used to do sinusoidal steady state analysis as well? I don't see why not, but need a confirmation.
The two methods are related, but it depends on where the Laplace transform converges. I posted about this in a different thread awhile ago.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-of-the-laplace-transform.971324/post-6174503

jason

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu

What is the difference between Laplace Transform and Phasor Analysis?

The primary difference between Laplace transform and phasor analysis lies in their application scope and complexity. Laplace transform is a more general method used for solving differential equations associated with linear time-invariant (LTI) systems and can handle both transient and steady-state responses. It is applicable to a wider range of functions and conditions. Phasor analysis, on the other hand, is specifically tailored for analyzing the steady-state sinusoidal response of LTI systems. It simplifies calculations by converting differential equations into algebraic ones but is limited to sinusoidal inputs.

When should I use Laplace Transform instead of Phasor Analysis in circuit analysis?

Laplace Transform should be used in circuit analysis when dealing with circuits that have initial conditions that cannot be ignored, or when the input signals are not purely sinusoidal. It is also essential when analyzing transient responses along with the steady-state response. Phasor analysis is typically used when the circuit has reached a steady state with sinusoidal inputs, making it less suitable for scenarios involving switching actions or where non-sinusoidal components are significant.

Can Laplace Transform handle non-sinusoidal inputs and how?

Yes, the Laplace Transform can handle non-sinusoidal inputs effectively. It does this by transforming the time-domain differential equations into the s-domain (complex frequency domain), where they become algebraic equations that are easier to solve. This transformation is not limited to sinusoidal functions and can be applied to any form of input, including impulses, steps, ramps, or any arbitrarily shaped waveform. This makes the Laplace Transform a versatile tool in analyzing a wide range of signals in circuit analysis.

What are the advantages of using Phasor Analysis in circuit analysis?

Phasor analysis offers several advantages in circuit analysis, particularly when dealing with linear circuits under sinusoidal steady-state conditions. It simplifies the analysis significantly by converting differential equations into simple algebraic ones, making the calculations much easier and quicker. Phasor analysis also facilitates the direct application of techniques like superposition and Thevenin’s theorem. Moreover, it provides a clear and intuitive way to visualize and understand the phase relationships and magnitudes of currents and voltages in AC circuits.

How does the complexity of calculations compare between Laplace Transform and Phasor Analysis?

The complexity of calculations in Laplace Transform is generally higher than in Phasor Analysis. Laplace Transform involves the use of complex frequency domain (s-domain), where solving the equations can require dealing with polynomials and inverse transforms that might need partial fraction decomposition or other advanced mathematical techniques. Phasor analysis, being limited to steady-state sinusoidal analysis, uses simpler algebraic manipulations and is confined to the frequency domain, making it less computationally intensive and more straightforward for specific scenarios.