Large heatsinks in refrigerator?

In summary, the large aluminum heatsinks with fins will work just as well as water jugs in the back to help stabilize the temperature when the door is left ajar.
djdoug99
I'm trying to keep my refrigerator cold when I have the door open and have read about putting water jugs in the back to help stabilize the temperature when the door is left ajar. Instead of water, would large aluminum heatsinks (with fins) work just as well?

Thanks

Don

Engineering news on Phys.org
Compare the heat capacities.

Water has a heat capacity 4 times that of aluminum, but If I can position the heat sinks in the front of the refrigerator (closer to the incoming warm air), will that be just as effective as water jugs in the back?

Wasn't talking about specific heats. The point was to compare volume of non-useable space in the fridge. Cold air is going to be falling from the fridge quite rapidly and being replaced by warm air. The more cold "mass" present in the space, the quicker the recovery when you close the door. As far as cooling the incoming air on the way in, why worry about it?

I don't really understand what you are trying to do. A jug of water sitting behind your fridge doesn't really do anything except maybe block airflow. And a heatsink -- is it connected to anything? And leaving the fridge open -- are you trying to destroy it while providing cumbersome heating to the room it is in?

This really makes no sense.

russ_watters said:
I don't really understand what you are trying to do. A jug of water sitting behind your fridge doesn't really do anything except maybe block airflow. And a heatsink -- is it connected to anything? And leaving the fridge open -- are you trying to destroy it while providing cumbersome heating to the room it is in?

This really makes no sense.

Sitting in the back of the fridge, not behind it.
Having a full fridge reduces the power usage. When the fridge is opened the volume of cooled air escaping is much less than if the fridge was empty.
I put water bottles in as they're useful, unlike Al blocks. Although, I bet I'd get more power savings from thinking about what I'd like to eat/drink before staring into the fridge blankly..

1. How do large heatsinks in refrigerators work?

Large heatsinks in refrigerators work by absorbing heat from the inside of the refrigerator and transferring it to the outside air. They are typically made of a metal, such as aluminum, that has a high thermal conductivity, allowing for efficient heat transfer.

2. Why are large heatsinks necessary in refrigerators?

Large heatsinks are necessary in refrigerators because they help to maintain a cool temperature inside the fridge by dissipating the heat that is generated by the cooling process. Without a heatsink, the heat would build up inside the fridge and cause the temperature to rise.

3. How are large heatsinks designed in refrigerators?

Large heatsinks in refrigerators are designed with fins or ridges that increase the surface area, allowing for more efficient heat transfer. They are also strategically placed in areas of the fridge that generate the most heat, such as near the compressor or condenser coils.

4. Can large heatsinks in refrigerators be replaced or upgraded?

In most cases, large heatsinks in refrigerators can be replaced or upgraded. However, it is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines or a professional technician to ensure that the replacement heatsink is compatible with the fridge's cooling system.

5. How can I tell if the large heatsink in my refrigerator needs to be replaced?

If you notice that your refrigerator is not maintaining a cool temperature or is running more frequently than usual, it may be a sign that the large heatsink needs to be replaced. Additionally, if the heatsink appears damaged or corroded, it should be replaced to ensure proper functioning of the fridge.