Large Underground Xenon dark matter experiment/LHC LSP neutr

In summary: In particle physics such a classification does not make sense. Both "waves" and "particles" are described with the same framework of quantum field...
kodama
Large Underground Xenon dark matter experiment and LHC have reported a null result on searches for dark matter, with new bounds.

What are the implication of these new bounds on neutralinos and LSP?

Hi kodama:
Since there been no other replies to your question, I will try to make a useful comment, based on my non-expert interpretation of articles I found by a brief internet search.

Regarding the LSP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightest_Supersymmetric_Particle
This article says:
The LSP of supersymmetric models is a dark matter candidate and is a Weakly interacting massive particle (WIMP).
The article
http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2014/...-with-the-large-underground-xenon-experiment/
says no WIMPs were found. Therefore one can conclude that no LSPs were found, and that there is a significant likelihood that they do not exist as a kind of DM.

Re neutralinos,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutralino
seems to be saying that neutralinos are not WIMPs. Therefore it seems reasonable to conclude that the XENON based experiment says nothing about the possibility that neutralinos might exist as a kind of DM.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes kodama
Buzz Bloom said:
Therefore one can conclude that no LSPs were found, and that there is a significant likelihood that they do not exist as a kind of DM.
Where would such a significant likelihood come from?
The exclusion limits keep improving, but you can always reduce couplings to make the particles invisible to current experiments.

Likes Buzz Bloom
mfb said:
The exclusion limits keep improving, but you can always reduce couplings to make the particles invisible to current experiments.

what about LHC? no neutralinos detected or produced at 8TEV energies.

Last edited:
My post applies to both LHC and direct dark matter searches like XENON.

mfb said:
My post applies to both LHC and direct dark matter searches like XENON.
lhc is based on finding missing energy. none found.

kodama said:
Large Underground Xenon dark matter experiment and LHC have reported a null result on searches for dark matter, with new bounds.

What are the implication of these new bounds on neutralinos and LSP?
I would think that if dark matter isn't found then perhaps we should be tweaking Newton's laws; I mean besides MOND which is only modifying Newton's laws, perhaps a serious shakeup in the fundamentals of physics is due.

kodama said:
lhc is based on finding missing energy. none found.
Missing energy is one part of the signature of possible dark matter-like particles, but the searches are more complex than that.

No dark matter found so far: sure. It would be impossible to miss such a discovery.
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I would think that if dark matter isn't found then perhaps we should be tweaking Newton's laws; I mean besides MOND which is only modifying Newton's laws, perhaps a serious shakeup in the fundamentals of physics is due.
Every new theory has to satify constraints from thousands of measurements. That is a huge challenge. If you just start making up hypotheses, they will fail to agree with many of those experimental results.

mfb said:
Missing energy is one part of the signature of possible dark matter-like particles, but the searches are more complex than that.

No dark matter found so far: sure. It would be impossible to miss such a discovery.Every new theory has to satify constraints from thousands of measurements. That is a huge challenge. If you just start making up hypotheses, they will fail to agree with many of those experimental results.

isnan===
mfb said:

No dark matter found so far: sure. It would be impossible to miss such a discovery.Every new theory has to satify constraints from thousands of measurements. That is a huge challenge. If you just start making up hypotheses, they will fail to agree with many of those experimental results.

i can understand how changing coupling constants can evade bounds of lux, but lhc?

isn't 8 tev enough to create 10-100 gev neutralinos, detected by missing energy?

Smaller coupling constants reduce the number of events. If the number is small enough, those events get swamped by background events

Likes kodama
mfb said:
Hi @mfb:

Thank you for pointing out my careless phraseology.

Perhaps I should have said:
"there is a significant possibility that they do not exist as a kind of DM.​
Is this an acceptable statement?

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Well, something particle-like is quite likely based on cosmological observations, but it does not have to be a supersymmetric particle, sure. Supersymmetry does not have to exist at all.

mfb said:
Well, something particle-like is quite likely based on cosmological observations, but it does not have to be a supersymmetric particle, sure. Supersymmetry does not have to exist at all.

what about scalar dark matter? more wave like than particle

In particle physics such a classification does not make sense. Both "waves" and "particles" are described with the same framework of quantum field theory.

mfb said:
In particle physics such a classification does not make sense. Both "waves" and "particles" are described with the same framework of quantum field theory.
how adjustable is the coupling for neutralinos and other WIMPS?

I'm not a theoretician, but in general the phase spaces are usually larger than the exclusion limits experiments can set.

mfb said:
I'm not a theoretician, but in general the phase spaces are usually larger than the exclusion limits experiments can set.
are you HEP? i ask bc i wonder if ultra-light scalar field dark matter is perhaps the best theory, esp with current exclusion limits from LUX.

i.e no WIMPS, no DM from 1EV-10TEV

DM is ultra-light scalar field dark matter. no cuspy halos. perhaps axions as well around 10 kuev

how would the SM change if they add ultra-light scalar field dark matter ?

What is the Large Underground Xenon (LUX) dark matter experiment?

The Large Underground Xenon (LUX) dark matter experiment is a scientific project designed to search for the elusive dark matter particles that are thought to make up the majority of the universe's mass. It uses a tank filled with liquid xenon to detect potential interactions with dark matter particles.

What is the LHC LSP neutrino and why is it important?

The LHC LSP neutrino refers to a type of neutrino particle that is predicted by some theories to be a component of dark matter. It is important because if it exists, it could help scientists better understand the nature of dark matter and its role in the universe.

How does the Large Underground Xenon experiment detect dark matter particles?

The LUX experiment uses a tank filled with liquid xenon, which is a noble gas that is sensitive to interactions with dark matter particles. When a dark matter particle passes through the tank, it may collide with a xenon atom, producing a tiny flash of light that can be detected by sensitive instruments.

What is the relationship between the LUX experiment and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The LUX experiment and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) are both scientific projects aimed at understanding the mysteries of the universe. However, they use different approaches - while the LUX experiment looks for direct interactions with dark matter particles, the LHC collides particles at high energies to study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

What have been the major findings and discoveries of the LUX experiment so far?

So far, the LUX experiment has not detected any dark matter particles. However, its sensitivity has improved our understanding of the properties of dark matter, ruling out certain models and narrowing down the possibilities for its composition. It has also set new limits on the interaction between dark matter particles and ordinary matter, providing valuable insights for future experiments.