Laser Engineering / Photonics & Alternative Energy

In summary, the conversation was about generating ideas for a research paper on using photonics or lasers to aid the alternative energy cause. The speaker listed some potential topics, including using lasers for fission fuel refinement, silicon purification for photovoltaics, and wireless energy transmission. Other suggested ideas included developing laser-based systems for tracking and monitoring energy efficiency, converting solar energy into chemical energy, and improving the efficiency of wind turbines and tidal energy harvesting.
Zimm
I'm looking for topic ideas for my Advanced Photonics class. We have to do a 5 - 10 page research paper, considering engineering feasibility and economics, of a project that somehow uses photonics or lasers to help the alternative energy cause. However, it needs to be new and innovative, not something someone is already doing. I've got a few ideas that I'm going to post below, but was hoping to get better ideas from others.

My ideas:
1. Use lasers to help with fission fuel refinement. I haven't looked into this much yet.

2. Lasers for silicon purification (needed for photovoltaics). Silicon can be purified by heat, but is generally done by a chemical deposition process now and I need better sources to explain this process to me before I can judge if laser heating might be more energy efficient.

3. Investigate wireless (microwave) energy, going into space and back, as a more efficient alternative to long (7000 mi) transmission lines. This would be important if we wanted giant solar arrays in deserts like the Sahara or Gobi which are very far from where the electricity will be used, but figures I've found don't support it.

4. Investigate BEC lasers for energy transfer. I haven't looked into this much yet.

5. Build ocean going hydrogen collectors. This is an idea of a friend who wants to build many cheap, replaceable, rafts that use solar power to get hydrogen from seawater. Ships would harvest the full vessels and deploy empties. I don't like this because I think it creates problems like ecological concerns and with collection.

So if anyone comes up with a decent idea please share!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Developing a laser-based system to track and monitor solar energy harvesting efficiency in real time. 2. Investigating the use of lasers to convert solar energy into chemical energy which can be stored and used later. 3. Exploring the possibility of using lasers to create artificial photosynthesis – a process that can convert solar energy into a storable form of energy, such as hydrogen or liquid fuels. 4. Developing a laser-based system to increase the efficiency of wind turbines by increasing the wind speed and direction for better power output. 5. Creating a laser-based system that can accurately measure the amount of solar radiation received and then create an optimal alignment of photovoltaic (PV) cells to maximize their efficiency. 6. Investigating the use of lasers for cooling of solar cells in order to increase the efficiency of their operation. 7. Exploring the potential of using lasers to improve the efficiency of tidal energy harvesting systems. 8. Investigating the use of lasers to power remote sensors used in the monitoring of alternative energy sources. 9. Investigating the use of lasers to create an efficient and cost effective way to store excess energy produced by renewable energy sources. 10. Developing a laser-based system that can be used to accurately predict and forecast the availability of renewable energy sources.

I find the topic of Laser Engineering and Photonics in relation to alternative energy to be extremely intriguing and relevant in today's world. I believe that it is important to find innovative and sustainable solutions to our energy needs, and the use of lasers and photonics technology can certainly play a significant role in achieving this goal.

Your ideas are interesting and show a good understanding of the potential applications of lasers and photonics in alternative energy. However, I would like to suggest a few more ideas that you may want to consider for your research paper.

1. Laser-assisted wind energy generation: Wind turbines are a popular source of renewable energy, but they have limitations in terms of efficiency and cost. Laser technology can be used to improve the aerodynamics of wind turbine blades, making them more efficient in capturing wind energy. Additionally, lasers can be used to monitor and adjust the position of the blades in real-time, optimizing their performance.

2. Solar-powered desalination using photonics: Desalination is a crucial process for providing fresh water in areas with limited access to clean water. However, traditional desalination methods are energy-intensive and expensive. By using photonics technology, solar energy can be harnessed to power the desalination process, making it more sustainable and cost-effective.

3. Laser-based energy storage: One of the challenges with renewable energy sources is their intermittent nature. Laser technology can be used to store excess energy in the form of heat or light, which can then be released on demand when needed. This can help in balancing the supply and demand of energy and make renewable sources more reliable.

4. Photon-enhanced thermionic emission for solar panels: Traditional solar panels have limitations in terms of efficiency and cost-effectiveness. By using photon-enhanced thermionic emission, the efficiency of solar panels can be significantly improved. This technology involves using a laser to excite electrons in the solar panel, which can then be collected to generate electricity.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. I encourage you to do further research and explore the potential of lasers and photonics in alternative energy. As you mentioned, it is important to consider engineering feasibility and economics in your research, and I believe these ideas have the potential to meet those criteria. Good luck with your paper!

1. What is laser engineering?

Laser engineering is a branch of science and engineering that involves the design, development, and application of lasers. Lasers are devices that emit a focused, coherent beam of light that can be used for a variety of purposes, including cutting, welding, and medical procedures.

2. How do lasers work?

Lasers work by amplifying light through a process called stimulated emission. This involves exciting atoms or molecules in a lasing medium, which causes them to emit photons of light. These photons are then reflected back and forth between two mirrors, amplifying the light and producing a coherent beam.

3. What is the role of photonics in alternative energy?

Photonics, which is the study of light and its properties, plays a crucial role in the development of alternative energy sources. By using photonic technologies, such as solar cells and photovoltaic devices, we can harness the power of sunlight to generate electricity and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.

4. What are some applications of laser engineering in the field of medicine?

Laser engineering has many medical applications, including laser surgery, cosmetic procedures, and medical imaging. Lasers can be used to precisely cut and cauterize tissue, remove unwanted hair or tattoos, and even treat certain medical conditions such as glaucoma and skin disorders.

5. What are some potential future developments in laser engineering?

Some potential future developments in laser engineering include more powerful and precise lasers, as well as the integration of lasers with other technologies such as robotics and artificial intelligence. There is also ongoing research into the use of lasers for energy storage and transmission, as well as in quantum computing and communications.