LASER Operating At A Certain Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the momentum of a photon emitted by a laser operating at a frequency of 6.1*10^14 Hz. It then goes on to find the speed of a helium atom after it absorbs 5 photons from the laser, treating the interaction as an inelastic collision. The solution involves adding up the momenta of the photons and the helium atom before and after the collision, and dividing by the helium atom's mass to find its velocity. The final answer is 2.5 m/s.
Paradox101
Q. A LASER is operating at a frequency f = 6.1*10^14 Hz.
A)Calculate the momentum of the photon emitted by the laser.
B)A helium atom flies towards the laser at a speed of v = 3.5 m/s.During one laser pulse the gold atom absorbs on average 5 photons.Find the speed the helium atom after one laser pulse.Treat the interaction between photons and the helium atom as an inelastic collision.Use m=4.0u for mass of the helium atom.

ATTEMPT: wavelength λ= c/f = 3×10^8/6.1×10^14
≈492 nm.
⇒Total momenta of 5 photons in 1 pulse =5×h/λ =5×6.63×10^-34/4.92×10^-7
= 5×1.35×10^-27
= 6.75×10^-27 kg.m/s
Again, like in the previous question i posted, i can't figure out how to find the speed of the helium atom.
(Here i can't divide the momenta of 5 photons by the mass of the He atom)
BTW the mass of the He atom will probably be :-
M(He)=4×1.6605×10^-27
= 6.64×10^-27 kg
That's as far i can get.I guess what i must do is deal with the conservation of linear momentum but i am not sure.Any suggestions?I really must complete these questions in time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all you've got and it holds. No big deal!

But the one who gave these questions isn't going to hold! Haven't you got a soluti-----I mean hint?

Treat it as a fully ineastic collision: add up the momentum of the photons and the He, to get the momentum after the absorption. Then divide by the He mass to get its velocity.

You mean pphotons/MHe=6.75×10-27/6.64×10-27=1.01 m/s.But the answer is 2.5 m/s

Found it! it should be done like this:
pHe before collision=Mu=6.64×10-27 × 3.5
= 2.324×10-26 kg.m/s

So,apparently, Mv=pHe-pphotons
=6.75×10-27-2.324×10-26
=1.65×10-26kg.m/s
and v = Mv/M=1.65×10-26/6.64×10-27
= 2.5 m/s
YAY

Well done.

1. What is the significance of operating a laser at a certain frequency?

Operating a laser at a specific frequency allows for control over the behavior and characteristics of the laser beam. This frequency determines the color and energy of the laser, making it a crucial parameter for various applications such as cutting, welding, and medical procedures.

2. How is the frequency of a laser determined?

The frequency of a laser is determined by the energy level difference between the two states of the lasing medium. This energy level difference is specific to each type of laser and can be controlled by adjusting the external conditions, such as the temperature and excitation energy.

3. Can a laser operate at multiple frequencies?

Some lasers, such as tunable lasers, can operate at multiple frequencies by adjusting the external conditions. However, most lasers are designed to operate at a specific frequency, and changing this frequency can significantly affect the laser's performance.

4. What is the role of the laser's frequency in its efficiency?

The frequency of a laser affects its efficiency in various ways. For example, a higher frequency laser can produce a more precise and concentrated beam, making it more efficient for tasks such as cutting and engraving. On the other hand, a lower frequency laser may be more efficient for tasks that require less precision, such as heating or welding.

5. How does the frequency of a laser affect its safety?

The frequency of a laser can impact its safety, as some frequencies are more harmful to human tissue than others. For example, infrared lasers are often safer than ultraviolet lasers, which can cause damage to the eyes and skin. It is essential to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear when working with lasers at any frequency.