Last night Nov 23rd at exactly 4:41pm mountain time, lights in the sky

• Thread starter Peter_W
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
Peter_W
TL;DR Summary: i saw 2 white objects in the dark northern alberta sky

i went outside to watch for my uber eats delivery and like i always do i look up to the sky cause im fascinated with astrology.plus this time of year the Aurora Borealis are spectacular. any ways i seen 2 bright lights one following the other and seemed to be approaching the iss just passing the iss they both in tandem turned to the south and farely quickly. then i lost site of them due to the 5 story building im facing. questions im asking are

1 did anyone else see this during my timeframe?
2 is there video available to the public from the iss or nasa

ive given up searching for a forum to help me this one seems like the best chance i have to figure out what i saw.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter_W said:
like i always do i look up to the sky cause im fascinated with astrology
Astrology?

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50
Peter_W said:
i went outside to watch for my uber eats delivery and like i always do i look up to the sky cause im fascinated with astrology.plus this time of year the Aurora Borealis are spectacular. any ways i seen 2 bright lights one following the other and seemed to be approaching the iss just passing the iss they both in tandem turned to the south and farely quickly.
Do you wear glasses?
Maybe an internal reflection, of the headlights of the Uber delivery vehicle.

Maybe you imagined the lights.

Why do you need to know?
There is too much science, we need more mystery in our lives.

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. What were the lights in the sky on November 23rd at 4:41 PM Mountain Time?

The lights observed in the sky on November 23rd at 4:41 PM Mountain Time were likely a natural astronomical event, such as a meteor shower, or could have been artificial satellites or debris entering the Earth's atmosphere. Without further specifics, it's difficult to determine exactly what the lights were.

2. How common is it to see lights like these in the sky?

Seeing lights in the sky is relatively common and can often be attributed to various phenomena including meteor showers, satellites, the International Space Station passing overhead, or even aircraft. The visibility of such events can depend on weather conditions and light pollution in the area.

3. Could these lights be related to any known astronomical events?

It's possible that the lights were related to an astronomical event. For example, if there was an active meteor shower, such as the Leonids which peaks in November, this could explain the sighting. Checking a calendar of astronomical events or contacting a local observatory can confirm if there were any expected events during that time.

4. Were there any reports of similar lights in other areas at the same time?

To determine if similar lights were observed in other areas, one would need to check social media, local news outlets, or astronomical forums for reports from others. Such sightings often prompt discussions or reports from multiple locations, especially if the phenomenon was widespread.

5. What should I do if I see similar lights in the future?

If you observe similar lights in the future, it might be helpful to record the event with a camera or take detailed notes on the time, location, and characteristics of the lights. Reporting your observation to a local astronomical society or using apps designed for reporting such phenomena can also be useful for tracking and understanding these events.

Back