Latest high frame rate consumer priced video cameras?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a camera that can capture images at a frequency of at least 100 frames per second in order to measure servo arm speeds under various torque loads. They are a high school physics teacher conducting personal research on RC helicopter accessories and believe this technology could also be useful for studying falling objects. They mention that GoPro, Sony, and Casio cameras have high frame rates, but resolution may be reduced and high light levels are necessary for the highest rates. They have been recommended the GoPro hero black edition, but it is too expensive and not necessary for their needs. They are wondering if anyone has experience using the latest cameras for this type of application and also mention the option of using a laptop
npomeroy
I'd like to get images at a frequency of at least 100 frames/sec to measure servo arm speeds (including acceleration from rest) under various torque loads. This is for personal research associated with RC helicopter accessories, but as a high school physics teacher it seems it would be good for falling objects etc. There are GoPro cameras that do this, a new Sony (about 120 fps) and a new series of Casio cameras (e.g Casio Exlilm EX-ZR200) that do very high frame rates. It is understood that at the highest rates resolution is reduced, and high light levels are needed, but neither of these are necessarily a problem in my application.
I have been recommended the Gopro hero black edition but this seems quite expensive in that it is designed for waterproof helmet-cam use and and I don't need that robustness.

Has anyone experience with the latest cameras of this type for this application?

Edit: Another option: I could use a laptop-tethered camera. Are there high frame rate webcam-type units?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Samsung Galaxy Camera can film at 120 fps. Here is a review

1. What is a high frame rate video camera?

A high frame rate video camera is a camera that can capture video footage at a higher number of frames per second compared to standard cameras. This allows for smoother and more detailed video footage.

2. What is the benefit of a high frame rate video camera?

The main benefit of a high frame rate video camera is the ability to capture fast-moving action or subjects with more clarity and detail. This is particularly useful in sports, action, and wildlife photography where quick movements can be easily missed by standard cameras.

3. What is the ideal frame rate for a high frame rate video camera?

The ideal frame rate for a high frame rate video camera can vary depending on the specific needs and preferences of the user. However, most high frame rate cameras offer 60 frames per second (fps) or higher, with some models offering up to 240 fps.

4. Are high frame rate video cameras more expensive than standard cameras?

Yes, high frame rate video cameras tend to be more expensive than standard cameras due to the advanced technology and features that allow them to capture footage at higher frame rates. However, with the increasing availability of consumer-priced high frame rate cameras, they are becoming more affordable for the average consumer.

5. Can I use a high frame rate video camera for regular video recording?

Yes, high frame rate video cameras can also be used for regular video recording at standard frame rates. This flexibility makes them a versatile option for both high-speed and regular filming needs.

Back