Latest Warp Drive Research: Examining Chronology Protection Conjecture

In summary, according to the paper, warp drive theories suggest that it is possible to violate the chronology protection conjecture. However, any methods of achieving superluminal travel would likely be impossible with current knowledge of quantum gravity.
James Essig
TL;DR Summary
Questions as to whether the content of the research of Alexey Bobrick, and Gianni Martire proposed in their paper describing their ideas for a warp drive and published in IOP's Classical and Quantum Gravity lead to possible ways to violate the chronology protection conjecture.
I had some questions about some recently published results on the theoretical aspects of warp-drive.

Does the content of the research of Alexey Bobrick, and Gianni Martire proposed in their paper describing their ideas for a warp drive and published in IOP's Classical and Quantum Gravity lead to possible ways to violate the chronology protection conjecture?

It is my understanding that any methods of achieving superluminal travel can be used to travel back in time and thus in principle violate the chronology protection conjecture.

Also, has the subject research been considered in the context of current theories of quantum gravity?

I presume that quantum gravity mechanisms would prohibit any attempt to travel back in time to change history.

I would be very interested in hearing what folks have to say on these topics.

I understand that the media tends to hype sensationalism and thus it can be hard to distinguish the hype from the ramifications of new research.

Thanks;

Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
James Essig said:
the research of Alexey Bobrick, and Gianni Martire proposed in their paper describing their ideas for a warp drive

Please provide a link to the paper.

Here is the link. Already I have read of folks who are skeptical. Separating the media hype from any validity seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Introducing physical warp drives - IOPscience

It is the same paper I believe. Either way it is the same set of concepts that in the previous link I provided. I am almost of the opinion that the theoretical approach does some serious "hand waving" and does not take into account in a rigorous way how quantum gravity mechanisms might be a show stopper. The paper seems to claim that negative energy in some considerations is optional but negative energy would seem to be required to negatively warp space-time, not by lexicographical considerations, but as a means to produce the space-time bubble considered in the paper. Also, it seems a general consensus that any superluminal travel can be used to enable backward time travel which results in various issues with causality.

James Essig said:
I am almost of the opinion that the theoretical approach does some serious "hand waving" and does not take into account in a rigorous way how quantum gravity mechanisms might be a show stopper.

The paper, although it mentions quantum effects, is using classical General Relativity for all of its actual modeling, not quantum gravity. (Nobody has a good quantum gravity theory at this time in any case, so talk about "quantum gravity mechanisms" is not well-supported by any theory and can only be speculation.)

Likes vanhees71
You sometimes see these claims for strange gravity effects that could be used in building a "warp drive", and then never hear anything more about them. A good example is this one by M. Tajmar: https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0603033v1

The ideas by Harold G White seem to be a bit more credible, but I'm by no means enough of a professional in general relativity to assess that.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook

1. What is the Chronology Protection Conjecture?

The Chronology Protection Conjecture is a hypothesis proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking that states that the laws of physics will prevent the creation of a time machine or any other method of time travel that would allow for the violation of causality.

2. How does the Chronology Protection Conjecture relate to warp drive research?

Warp drive research involves the theoretical concept of manipulating space-time to travel faster than the speed of light. The Chronology Protection Conjecture is important in this research because it suggests that any attempt to create a warp drive could potentially lead to paradoxes and disruptions in the timeline.

3. What recent developments have been made in warp drive research?

Recently, there have been advancements in the understanding and manipulation of exotic matter, which is a key component in the theoretical construction of a warp drive. There have also been studies on the potential effects of a warp drive on the surrounding space-time and the potential for creating stable wormholes.

4. Is it possible to create a functioning warp drive based on current research?

At this point, creating a functioning warp drive is still purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. While there have been advancements in understanding the concepts involved, there are still many technological and theoretical challenges that need to be overcome.

5. What are the potential implications of a functioning warp drive?

A functioning warp drive could potentially revolutionize space travel and exploration, allowing humans to travel to distant galaxies and potentially even other universes. However, it also raises ethical and philosophical questions about the consequences of altering the fabric of space-time and the potential for altering the course of history.