LaTeX PDFs look bad, but print okay?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter rapid1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Are you using a different viewer for the printed version?In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with creating LaTeX files where certain elements, such as matrices and text, appear distorted when viewed in PDF viewers but look perfect when printed. The user is seeking advice or workarounds for this issue and mentions using TeXworks with MikTeX and a built-in PDF viewer with Chrome. Suggestions are given to try using a different font and to use a different viewer for the printed version.
rapid1
Kind of a non-issue but still bugging me. Basically, whenever I create a LaTeX file certain things will look a bit naff in PDF viewers, such as matrices will appear with the large square brackets broken in the middle, also text can appear bold when it isn't, dashes look odd etc. However, when i print these to paper they always look perfect. Obviously i'd be more annoyed if it were the other way around but as i publish some of my files only online it leaves them looking a little less professional.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue or any workarounds or reasons for this. Thanks.

Just for info i use TeXworks (pdfLaTeX) with MikTeX and for viewer i use the built in PDF viewer with Chrome, i do also experience this with Adobe Reader though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rapid said:
Kind of a non-issue but still bugging me. Basically, whenever I create a LaTeX file certain things will look a bit naff in PDF viewers, such as matrices will appear with the large square brackets broken in the middle, also text can appear bold when it isn't, dashes look odd etc. However, when i print these to paper they always look perfect. Obviously i'd be more annoyed if it were the other way around but as i publish some of my files only online it leaves them looking a little less professional.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue or any workarounds or reasons for this. Thanks.

Just for info i use TeXworks (pdfLaTeX) with MikTeX and for viewer i use the built in PDF viewer with Chrome, i do also experience this with Adobe Reader though.

You could try using a different font. Are you using Times New Roman, or the default?

It's the default. But even in the math environment "\left[" would look broken up. I'm not sure if i am allowed to use a different font, unless there are different 'better' fonts that look the same? But like i say, when i print the PDFs they come out looking exactly as they should.

rapid said:
It's the default. But even in the math environment "\left[" would look broken up. I'm not sure if i am allowed to use a different font, unless there are different 'better' fonts that look the same? But like i say, when i print the PDFs they come out looking exactly as they should.

How are you creating the pdf? Pdflatex? Or are you printing the dvi file using an Adobe (or free) pdf printer? Whichever one you're using, try using the other method and see if that does any better. Does your dvi file look wrong?

You can specify a different font by including the line \usepackage{fontname} in your document. For example, I do

\usepackage{times}

in the header (before the \begin{document} line), and that makes all the fonts Times New Roman.

Ackbach said:
You could try using a different font. Are you using Times New Roman, or the default?

I use Palatino for the Roman font in LaTeX that is going to be pdf-ed using pdflatex. The default font always looked dreadfull onscreen (Printers being smart could usually sort out the font on printing).

CB

\usepackage{times} worked perfectly, thanks Ackbach!

You're welcome. Happy TeX'ing.

rapid said:

By Chrome viewer, does that mean you are viewing the pdf in the browser? If you are viewing a pdf in the browser, it will general look shoddy. Similar if you are using the adobe viewer from the browser.

1. Why do my LaTeX PDFs look bad on screen?

This is a common issue with LaTeX documents, and it is usually caused by the default settings for displaying documents on screen. The default zoom level and font smoothing can make the PDF appear blurry or pixelated.

2. Do my PDFs look bad because of a problem with LaTeX?

No, the issue is not with LaTeX itself. It is a common misconception that LaTeX produces low-quality PDFs. In fact, LaTeX is known for producing high-quality documents with precise formatting and typesetting.

3. Can I fix the appearance of my PDFs on screen?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to improve the appearance of your LaTeX PDFs on screen. You can adjust the zoom level, change the font smoothing settings, or use a different PDF viewer. Additionally, using a higher resolution for your PDF output can also improve the on-screen appearance.

4. Why do my LaTeX PDFs look fine when printed?

The issue with the appearance of LaTeX PDFs is only on screen, as the documents are designed to be printed. When printed, the high-quality typesetting and formatting of LaTeX is evident and the documents look crisp and clear.

5. Are there any other alternatives to improve the on-screen appearance of my PDFs?

If you are not satisfied with the default settings of your PDF viewer, you can also try using a different viewer. Some viewers have options for adjusting the display settings, which may improve the appearance of your PDFs on screen. You can also try converting your LaTeX document to a different format, such as HTML, which may have better on-screen display options.