Latex Tests: Solving for Phi(a, theta) and Phi(b, theta)

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Theta
In summary, the conversation is about a user looking for a thread on latex tests and being advised to move their post. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about \Phi (a, \theta ) and its use in the context of an array. The other user suggests that the first argument after {array} is always treated as a column definition, which explains why \Phi is not working in this context.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I haven't found a thread for latex tests, but I'm sure there's at least one of them. So feel free to move this post.
##\begin{array} \Phi (a, \theta ) = \sum _{l=0}^ \infty [A_l a^l + B_l a^{-(l+1)}] P_l (\cos \theta ) = V_a \\ \Phi (b, \theta ) = \sum _{l=0}^ \infty [A_l b^l + B_l b^{-(l+1)}] P_l (\cos \theta ) =V_b \end{array}##
I don't understand why the first lines does not read "Phi(a, theta)". I wrote \Phi (a, \theta ).
Anyone has an idea? It works for the second line. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps first argument after {array} is always treated as a column definition? Not that \Phi would made any sense in this context...

[tex]\begin{array}{ll} \Phi (a, \theta ) = \sum _{l=0}^ \infty [A_l a^l + B_l a^{-(l+1)}] P_l (\cos \theta ) = V_a \\ \Phi (b, \theta ) = \sum _{l=0}^ \infty [A_l b^l + B_l b^{-(l+1)}] P_l (\cos \theta ) =V_b \end{array}[/tex]

I see. Thanks a lot, I was not aware of this.

1. How do I solve for Phi(a, theta)?

To solve for Phi(a, theta), you will need to use a calculator or a mathematical software program. The formula for Phi(a, theta) involves trigonometric functions such as cosine and sine, so you will need to have a good understanding of these functions and how to use them in calculations.

2. What is the purpose of finding Phi(a, theta)?

Phi(a, theta) is used in latex tests to determine the angle at which two objects intersect. This information is useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can also be used to calculate the distance between two points or the orientation of an object in space.

3. What is the difference between Phi(a, theta) and Phi(b, theta)?

Phi(a, theta) and Phi(b, theta) are both angles that are measured in radians. The main difference between them is that Phi(a, theta) is the angle at which two objects intersect, while Phi(b, theta) is the angle at which two lines intersect. In most cases, Phi(a, theta) is used in calculations involving objects in three-dimensional space, while Phi(b, theta) is used for two-dimensional calculations.

4. Can I use any value for theta in the Phi(a, theta) formula?

No, theta must be a valid angle in radians for the formula to work correctly. This means that theta must be between 0 and 2π (360 degrees). If theta is outside of this range, the results may be inaccurate or invalid.

5. How can I check if my calculation for Phi(a, theta) is correct?

You can check your calculation by plugging in the values you used for a and theta into the original formula and comparing the result to your calculated Phi(a, theta). You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the points and see if they intersect at the correct angle. Additionally, you can use online tools or software programs that can solve for Phi(a, theta) to verify your calculation.