LaTeX-tikz drawing perpendicular line

In summary, the person used code from another thread to draw a line on an image, but they are unsure how to change the length of the line. They want the line to pass through specific points, but not go below a certain point. They can use the "shorten" option in the code to control the length of the line. To make the line into an arrow, they can use the "->" option instead of the "<->" option in the code.
binbagsss
I copied and pasted some code from another thread on this forum, and it has worked, however I am unsure how to change the length of the line. On the attached image, the line is the one labelled H(X,T). I want the line to be perpendicular to the plane- to pass through the blue node labelled (dfd) and a point of F(X,T), as it does. But I do not want it to go below dfd as it does at the moment. formatchange.png

This is the code I used:

\node
at (4.1,2.5) {H(X,T)};
\coordinate (C) at (7,3);
\coordinate (O) at (5.4,2.3);
\node at (5.4,2.3){dfd};
\tkzDefLine[orthogonal=through C](C,O);
\tkzDrawLine[,add = .6 and 0.02,color=black](O,tkzPointResult);

and changing the first parameter- the 0.6 shortens it from the other end , so e.g 0.4 was to short for it to intersect F(X,T), and I'm not sure what the other parameter does, I have changed it but have not noticed any difference. It is the length of the line from the other end that I want to control.

(On another note, how do I turn this into an arrow, when I tried `\tkzDrawLine[<->,add = .6 and 0.02,color=black](O,tkzPointResult)` it produced an error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated.You can use the 'shorten' option in the \tkzDrawLine command to control the length of the line. For example, the following code will draw a line from dfd to F(X,T) with a length of 2cm:\node at (5.4,2.3){dfd};\tkzDefLine[orthogonal=through C](C,O);\tkzDrawLine[shorten >=2cm,color=black](O,tkzPointResult);To draw an arrow, use the '->' option instead of the '<->' option. For example:\tkzDrawLine[shorten >=2cm,->,color=black](O,tkzPointResult);

1. How do I draw a perpendicular line using LaTeX-tikz?

To draw a perpendicular line using LaTeX-tikz, you can use the \draw command along with the [perpendicular] option. For example, \draw (0,0) -- (1,1) [perpendicular] (1,1) -- (1,0); will draw a perpendicular line from the point (1,1) to the line connecting (0,0) and (1,0).

2. Can I customize the style of the perpendicular line?

Yes, you can customize the style of the perpendicular line by adding additional options to the [perpendicular] option. For example, [perpendicular, thick, dashed, red] will draw a thick, dashed, red perpendicular line.

3. How do I specify the length of the perpendicular line?

You can specify the length of the perpendicular line by using the [shorten < > = <length>] option. For example, [perpendicular, shorten < > = 0.2cm] will shorten the perpendicular line by 0.2cm on both ends.

4. Can I draw a perpendicular line from a point to a specific coordinate?

Yes, you can draw a perpendicular line from a point to a specific coordinate by using the [perpendicular = <point>] option. For example, [perpendicular = {(1,1)}] will draw a perpendicular line from the current point to the coordinate (1,1).

5. How do I label the perpendicular line?

To label the perpendicular line, you can use the \node command and specify the label in the label option. For example, \node [label = above: P] at (1,1); will label the point (1,1) with the letter P. You can then use this label in other parts of your drawing.