Lattice Boltzmann simulation with arbitrary equilibrium func

In summary, The speaker is looking for a lattice Boltzmann method that can handle an arbitrary collision operator without the need for a specific equilibrium density function. They are open to approximations and would prefer a higher order of Q in the method if possible. They are also willing to provide more information if needed.
simoncks
Hi everyone,

I plan to do a simulation of a Boltzmann equation with experimentally known scattering between two particles. Initially I intend to incorporate the scattering into the collision integral and use Lattice Boltzmann Equation (LBE) afterwards. But I only see LGBK (DnQb) which requires a specific form of equilibrium density function whereas mine might not suit.
Is there any LBE which does not require a specific form of equilibrium density function? Or is there any LBE which only requires input of scattering function?

I am happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks
Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
Specifically, I want a lattice Boltzmann method which can allow me to input arbitrary collision operator. It is ok to make some approximation.

A software of D2Q9 method without BGK approximation would be an ideal. Higher order of Q would also be favourable.

1. What is Lattice Boltzmann simulation with arbitrary equilibrium function?

Lattice Boltzmann simulation with arbitrary equilibrium function is a computational method used to simulate fluid flow and other complex systems. It is based on a lattice Boltzmann equation, which is a simplified version of the Navier-Stokes equations. This method uses a lattice grid structure to discretize the fluid domain and models the behavior of the fluid using a set of discrete velocity distribution functions. The arbitrary equilibrium function is a key component of this simulation, as it allows for the modeling of non-ideal fluids and complex boundary conditions.

2. How does the arbitrary equilibrium function affect the accuracy of the simulation?

The choice of the arbitrary equilibrium function can have a significant impact on the accuracy and efficiency of the Lattice Boltzmann simulation. The function must be carefully selected to accurately represent the behavior of the fluid being simulated. If an inappropriate function is used, it can lead to errors and inaccuracies in the simulation results. Additionally, the complexity of the function can also affect the computational cost of the simulation.

3. What types of fluids can be simulated using this method?

Lattice Boltzmann simulation with arbitrary equilibrium function can be used to simulate a wide range of fluids, including both Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids. It can also handle multiphase flows, such as liquid-gas interfaces, and complex boundary conditions, such as porous media or moving boundaries. This makes it a versatile method for studying various fluid dynamics problems.

4. How is the accuracy of the simulation validated?

The accuracy of the Lattice Boltzmann simulation with arbitrary equilibrium function can be validated by comparing the results with analytical solutions or experimental data. This is a common practice in the scientific community to ensure that the simulation accurately captures the behavior of the fluid being studied. Additionally, the accuracy can also be improved by adjusting the parameters of the simulation, such as the grid resolution or relaxation time.

5. What are the advantages of using Lattice Boltzmann simulation with arbitrary equilibrium function?

There are several advantages to using this method for simulating fluid flow. Firstly, it is a highly parallelizable method, making it suitable for running on high-performance computing systems. It is also relatively easy to implement and can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. Additionally, it can capture complex fluid behavior, such as turbulence and multiphase flows, and can provide insights into the underlying physics of the system being studied.