Lattice Diagram for Transmission Line

In summary: V0*(Zg+Z0)/(Zg+Z0+Z0) Where ##Zg## and ##Z0## are the distance from the generator to the load and the distance from the load to the transmission line, respectively.
icesalmon
Homework Statement
Figure for problems 1 and 2: Figure shows a transmission line system. The
effective dielectric constant of the TL is 9 and its length is 2 m. The source is a
DC voltage source. The other parameters are as follows: Vg = 10V, Zg = 20ohms Z0 = 40ohms ZL = 60ohms

Q: Calculate and plot the current at the center of the transmission line as a
function of time between 0ns and 70ns.
Relevant Equations
V = I*Z
The propagation speed of the wave is C/sqrt(9) = up if the length of the transmission line is 2m then every 10ns it will pass through the middle of the transmission line. But the switch in the circuit is opened after 5ns so after the current wave bounces off of the Load for the first time it will travel back to the generator and then bounce off of that and travel back towards the load again, but because of the open circuit I should be measuring 0A at 30ns, 50ns, and 70ns (the times at which the current wave would pass through the center of the transmission line) The solution for this problem shows non-zero amplitudes of the current wave at these times. I don't understand how this is possible.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 170
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where I see the switch opening after 5 ns comment (maybe we're missing a part of the problem?), but this is one of many things the problem is trying to show you: RF electronics you have to of the signal as (standing) waves and so your open and short circuits might not be as intuitive as it was with low frequency or DC electronics. The real big takeaway is that things are even more complicated when both the source and the load are not matched. It's very common to focus a lot on the load, but if the source is not matched as well, then you need to account for that; this also happens between stages when items are cascaded.

The usual approach I see to this problem is you would draw two vertical lines representing the source and the load. You would show that the signal ##V_0^{+}## goes through the medium ##Z_0## and then it bounces back and forth changing because of the reflection coefficients ##\Gamma_S## and ##\Gamma_L##. Did you try that? Were there any other equations that might be relevant for this problem?

Joshy said:
I'm not sure where I see the switch opening after 5 ns comment (maybe we're missing a part of the problem?),
I apologize i must not have copied that portion of the problem, my posting of this was rushed and sloppy.
“Joshy said:
The usual approach I see to this problem is you would draw two vertical lines representing the source and the load. You would show that the signal ##V_0^{+}## goes through the medium ##Z_0## and then it bounces back and forth changing because of the reflection coefficients ##\Gamma_S## and ##\Gamma_L##. Did you try that? Were there any other equations that might be relevant for this problem?
Yes i obtained this: Vg should be V0 = Vg*Z0/(Zg+Z0)

Attachments

• AEC0213F-BEB7-4334-ADCC-AB9EED4C4353.png
    AEC0213F-BEB7-4334-ADCC-AB9EED4C4353.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 131

1. What is a lattice diagram for transmission line?

A lattice diagram for transmission line is a graphical representation of the impedance and admittance of a transmission line. It shows the relationship between voltage, current, and distance along the line.

2. Why is a lattice diagram important for transmission line analysis?

A lattice diagram is important for transmission line analysis because it allows engineers to visualize the behavior of the transmission line and identify any potential issues or areas for improvement. It also helps in determining the appropriate line parameters for efficient power transmission.

3. How is a lattice diagram constructed?

A lattice diagram is constructed by plotting the impedance and admittance values at regular intervals along the length of the transmission line. This is usually done using a computer program or specialized software.

4. What information can be obtained from a lattice diagram?

A lattice diagram provides information on the characteristic impedance, propagation constant, and attenuation of the transmission line. It also helps in identifying any impedance mismatches or reflections that may occur along the line.

5. How can a lattice diagram be used in transmission line design?

A lattice diagram can be used in transmission line design to determine the optimal line parameters for efficient power transmission. It also helps in identifying potential issues and allows for the optimization of the line for specific applications.