Launch Spacecraft to Near c Speeds: Is it Possible?

In summary: For rotating tethers (rotovators) the value used is the material’s ‘characteristic velocity’ which is the maximum tip velocity a rotating untapered cable can...If the thrust of the Saturn V rocket was 10^7 N at liftoff, would these numbers you gave me make the idea practical? It's only about a factor of 100 off.Only a factor of 100? Where are you going to get a hundred Saturn Vs from? Also note you need to be able to provide that at all points around a 10km radius ring, not at one point as in a rocket.
kolleamm
Is it possible to spin a tiny spacecraft to near c speeds, and then have it eject from the object it's spinning on into space?

I came with this idea after seeing the Starshot project that involved lasers and thought there might be a better way. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Is it possible to spin a tiny spacecraft to near c speeds, and then have it eject from the object it's spinning on into space?
Not through an atmosphere. If you have a particle accelerator in orbit or on the Moon, you could launch protons or electrons in a beam...

berkeman said:
Not through an atmosphere. If you have a particle accelerator in orbit or on the Moon, you could launch protons or electrons in a beam...
What about bigger things like 0.5grams?

The centripetal force requirements will be impressive - ##\gamma^2mv^2/r##, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I make it 1.5×109N for your 0.5g craft on a 10km ring at 0.5c - comparable to the weight of the larger aircraft carriers.

Last edited:
Ibix said:
The centripetal force requirements will be impressive - ##\gamma^2mv^2/r##, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I make it 1.5×109N for your 0.5g craft on a 10km ring at 0.5c - comparable to the weight of the larger aircraft carriers.
If the thrust of the Saturn V rocket was 10^7 N at liftoff, would these numbers you gave me make the idea practical? It's only about a factor of 100 off.

Edit - I take that back if we consider the 1.5

kolleamm said:
What about bigger things like 0.5grams?
I'm only aware of one such test. The results were impressive!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Operation_Crossroads_Baker_Edit.jpg
Operation_Crossroads_Baker_Edit.jpg

Attachments

• Operation_Crossroads_Baker_Edit.jpg
    Operation_Crossroads_Baker_Edit.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 394
Likes Sorcerer, Imager and phinds
kolleamm said:
If the thrust of the Saturn V rocket was 10^7 N at liftoff, would these numbers you gave me make the idea practical? It's only about a factor of 100 off.
Only a factor of 100? Where are you going to get a hundred Saturn Vs from? Also note you need to be able to provide that at all points around a 10km radius ring, not at one point as in a rocket.

Note also that this is merely the centripetal force. I have said nothing about the force that increases the speed..

I have never looked into this, but do note that the accelerator at CERN is an incredible achievement, and it spins a handful of particles around. On that bases, I very much doubt a ring accelerator for a macroscopic object is practical.

Likes Stavros Kiri
kolleamm said:
Ibix said:
Also note you need to be able to provide that at all points around a 10km radius ring, not at one point as in a rocket.

Note also that this is merely the centripetal force. I have said nothing about the force that increases the speed..

I have never looked into this, but do note that the accelerator at CERN is an incredible achievement, and it spins a handful of particles around. On that bases, I very much doubt a ring accelerator for a macroscopic object is practical.
I agree with Ibix. It doesn't seem a very practical idea, since, considering the range and scale of the force and things, it's probably easier or we might as well use the same force to pull it and linearly accelerate it, instead of having it spin! ...
(depends on the set-up though ...)

kolleamm said:

I came with this idea after seeing the Starshot project that involved lasers and thought there might be a better way. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

The idea of spinning things as a means of launching spacecraft has real life grounding in the idea of space tethers. See for instance <<wiki>>. Actual implementations aren't "tiny", and they don't move at half the speed of light. But one can use some of the design equations to see what would happen if one tried to make them smaller and faster. There will be some modest relativistic corrections from the wiki formula (which are classical). I believe these corrections will tend to make things worse for your idea, rather than better, so we are being optimistic by ignoring them. However, I believe at .5c these relativistic corrections should be much less 2:1, the gamma factor is only about 1.15.

Using some of the math of actual space tethers one can evaluate how far the idea can be pushed. See the section
wiki said:
There are design equations for certain applications that can identify typical quantities that drive material selection.
For rotating tethers (rotovators) the value used is the material’s ‘characteristic velocity’ which is the maximum tip velocity a rotating untapered cable can attain without breaking,
$$V_c = \sqrt{\frac{2 \sigma}{\rho}}$$

Here σ is the stress limit (in pressure units), i.e. the maximum force/unit area, and ρ is the density of the material.

The rotovator is one of the "best-case", it's faster than the circular hoop, but at this point can use either formula to get some idea of the numbers.

Next one looks at at this section on known materials that calculate the characteristic velocities of various materials. The theoretical value for carbon nanotubes (which may or may not be realizable) is, at 6 km/sec, very, very smallert than .5c.

So the basic conclusion is that even theoretically, the strongest known material (carbon nanotubes) won't reach your goal of .5c. One cannot "spin up" a cable made of carbon nanotubes to that sort of speed and expect it to hold together. Steel would be much worse.

So in order to do what you want, one would need to postulate the existence of materials that are much, much stronger than carbon nanotubes on a strength/weight basis.

Last edited:
Likes Sorcerer, Ibix, Stavros Kiri and 1 other person
pervect said:
The idea of spinning things as a means of launching spacecraft has real life grounding in the idea of space tethers. See for instance <<wiki>>. Actual implementations aren't "tiny", and they don't move at half the speed of light. But one can use some of the design equations to see what would happen if one tried to make them smaller and faster. There will be some modest relativistic corrections from the wiki formula (which are classical). I believe these corrections will tend to make things worse for your idea, rather than better, so we are being optimistic by ignoring them. However, I believe at .5c these relativistic corrections should be much less 2:1, the gamma factor is only about 1.15.

Using some of the math of actual space tethers one can evaluate how far the idea can be pushed. See the sectionHere σ is the stress limit (in pressure units), i.e. the maximum force/unit area, and ρ is the density of the material.

The rotovator is one of the "best-case", it's faster than the circular hoop, but at this point can use either formula to get some idea of the numbers.

Next one looks at at this section on known materials that calculate the characteristic velocities of various materials. The theoretical value for carbon nanotubes (which may or may not be realizable) is, at 6 km/sec, very, very smallert than .5c.

So the basic conclusion is that even theoretically, the strongest known material (carbon nanotubes) won't reach your goal of .5c. One cannot "spin up" a cable made of carbon nanotubes to that sort of speed and expect it to hold together. Steel would be much worse.

So in order to do what you want, one would need to postulate the existence of materials that are much, much stronger than carbon nanotubes on a strength/weight basis.
Perhaps Adamantium would do the trick?

Sorcerer said:

Is Adamantium massless? Otherwise: no.

jocarren said:
Is Adamantium massless? Otherwise: no.
Why does it need to be massless? I thought we were just discussing the material for the device to accelerate the projectile.

Sorcerer said:
Why does it need to be massless? I thought we were just discussing the material for the device to accelerate the projectile.

The problem is that any massive proyectile would require A LOT of energy to accelerate near c, adding a massive bar to exert centripetal force on the proyectile would only increase the energy requirement.

That's (part of) why the guys at the LHC don't use a slingshot to accelerate particles, they use electromagnetic fields instead (though, I'm not sure if that method would be any more energy efficient than use a macroscopic device to hold a macroscopic proyectile spinning at relativistic speed).

Maybe if we spin the thing around a black hole or neutron star, lowering the orbit as it comes closer to c. That's the only way I can think for it to be "feasable".

Sorcerer said:
The strength/weight ratio of a substance is closely related to the speed of sound in that substance. Adamantium as a comic book material doesn't have to obey the laws of physics. Materials consistent with the laws of physics (in this case, the laws of special relativity) need to have a speed of sound in the material that's less than the speed of light. This does put a fundamental limit on the strength/weight ratio.

There isn't any really well developed theory for materials that would have a speed of sound an that is appreciable fraction of "c", and we don't know of any actual materials with such a high speed of sound we could measure or experiment with. All known existing materials have a speed of sound that's much much lower than "c".

jocarren said:
Maybe if we spin the thing around a black hole or neutron star, lowering the orbit as it comes closer to c.

This won't help. The orbital speed might approach ##c## as measured by local observers, but the actual energy at infinity of the object is decreasing as the orbit gets closer, which means that when you launch it, it will end up moving more slowly as seen by observers far away, and take longer to get to some distant point. Heuristically, the increased orbital speed in a lower orbit is more than outweighed by the fact that, once you launch it, the object has to climb farther to get out of the gravity well; it ends up losing more speed in the climb than it gained from the increased orbital speed.

PeterDonis said:
This won't help. The orbital speed might approach ##c## as measured by local observers, but the actual energy at infinity of the object is decreasing as the orbit gets closer, which means that when you launch it, it will end up moving more slowly as seen by observers far away, and take longer to get to some distant point. Heuristically, the increased orbital speed in a lower orbit is more than outweighed by the fact that, once you launch it, the object has to climb farther to get out of the gravity well; it ends up losing more speed in the climb than it gained from the increased orbital speed.

Yes, I forgot to account for the big big mass. "It won't help" should be the title of this thread.

1. Can we currently launch spacecraft to near c speeds?

No, we do not currently have the technology or resources to launch spacecraft to near c speeds. The fastest spacecraft we have launched, the Voyager 1, is currently traveling at about 0.0002 c.

2. What is the current speed limit for spacecraft?

The current speed limit for spacecraft is approximately 0.0002 c, which is the speed of the Voyager 1 spacecraft. This is the fastest speed achieved by a man-made object.

3. What would be required to launch a spacecraft to near c speeds?

To launch a spacecraft to near c speeds, we would need significant advancements in propulsion technology, as well as improvements in materials and fuel efficiency. It would also require a tremendous amount of resources and funding.

4. What are the potential benefits of launching spacecraft to near c speeds?

Launching spacecraft to near c speeds would greatly reduce travel time for space exploration missions, allowing us to reach distant planets and stars much faster. It could also open up new opportunities for interstellar travel and potentially lead to important scientific discoveries.

5. Are there any potential risks or challenges associated with launching spacecraft to near c speeds?

Yes, there are several potential risks and challenges associated with launching spacecraft to near c speeds. These include the immense amount of energy and resources required, the potential for collisions with space debris, and the effects of high speeds on spacecraft and human passengers. There are also ethical considerations to take into account, such as the impact on other celestial bodies and potential interference with alien civilizations.