Launching a ball with a flywheel design into a goal

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a robot for the VEX Nothing But Net competition. The main focus is on calculating the location and velocity needed to launch balls into the goal accurately. The first question is about the accuracy of using Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance to the goal, while the second question is about determining the launch velocity based on the speed of the flywheels and the space between them. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on whether the playing field needs to be considered in the calculations.
HeyAwesomePeopl
Hello all,

My robotics club at school will be entering the VEX Nothing But Net competition. We are beginning to design the robot and it's launcher specifically.

We want our flywheel design to be two wheels on each side, on a horizontal line like this. We would squeeze the balls between the wheels at a certain speed to launch the balls to the goal.

This is our goal
7afc4712af1dfff48587e49286f0d187.png

and our playing field
2a72fc2ab77786f27786e44c7378debe.png

So right away I want to calculate the exact location I want the ball to land. Obviously, this would be in the middle of the high goal zone.
6fad7a35c865e1b5a68c8fcb0cab0f2d.png

This seems like a simple calculation. At first to find it I was just using the pythagorean theorem, but then I realize that our robot won't be placed in a corner. It will be placed on one of the red/blue squares. Already this means I have to do more math. I figured the launcher would be in the middle of the square, resulting in the middle of the goal being about a 98.93inch linear line away(this number includes the pythagorean theorem for the height of the goal, otherwise it would just be 89.1 inches as a flat line across the field)

That is my first question, how accurate is my math?

My second question is a lot more complicated. I need to figure out how fast I need to spin my flywheels in order to launch the balls where I want them. How do I do this?

Using an online launch velocity calculator, I am getting that to shoot 98.93 inches, that at an angle of 45 degrees I would need the launch velocity to be 4.9616... m/s. This just doesn't seem right, but if it is, then how would I figure out what the launch velocity of the ball will be through the flywheel based on how fast the flywheel is spinning and how much space there is between the wheels(how much it squeezes the ball)

This is all new to me so sorry if I don't understand something

Thanks,
HeyAwesomePeople

I'm not sure if I understand the geometry. Do you have to consider the shape of the playing field, or can you reduce it to a simple 2 D problem (height + width)? Horizontal velocity will stay constant (neglecting air resistance), vertical velocity will change with downwards acceleration from gravity. The typical introductory mechanics problem with solutions in every textbook.

1. How does a flywheel design work to launch a ball into a goal?

A flywheel design uses the principle of conservation of angular momentum to store rotational energy. When the flywheel is spun, it creates a torque that can be transferred to the ball when it is released, propelling it towards the goal.

2. What factors affect the trajectory and accuracy of the ball when using a flywheel design?

The speed and direction of the flywheel's rotation, the mass and size of the ball, and any external forces such as wind or friction can all impact the trajectory and accuracy of the ball when launched with a flywheel design.

3. Can a flywheel design be used for different types of balls and goals?

Yes, a flywheel design can be adapted for different types of balls and goals by adjusting the size and shape of the flywheel and the mechanism used to release the ball. However, the design may need to be optimized for each specific ball and goal combination to achieve the best results.

4. How can the power and efficiency of a flywheel design be improved?

The power and efficiency of a flywheel design can be improved by increasing the rotational speed of the flywheel, reducing friction in the mechanism, and using lightweight and sturdy materials for the flywheel. Additionally, a well-designed release mechanism can also improve the launch speed and accuracy of the ball.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a flywheel design to launch a ball?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when using a flywheel design. The flywheel should be properly balanced and secured to prevent it from flying off or causing injury. The release mechanism should also be designed to prevent accidental launches. It is also important to wear protective gear and keep a safe distance when operating the flywheel design.