"Laws of Form" by G. Spencer-Brown (1969)

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Laws of Form" by G. Spencer-Brown and its impact on logic, mathematics, and philosophy. While it has influenced some thinkers, it is considered more of a historical curiosity and has not gained widespread use. However, it continues to be a topic of interest in various fields such as logic, semiotics, and consciousness research.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I have received (unasked) a digital edition of "Laws of Form" (1969) by G. Spencer-Brown; I have glanced at it, and also at the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_Form. OK, another logical system; logical journals (e.g. by ASL) are full of them, and I am not sure whether this one stands out (beyond having some fuzzy interpretations that made it a "cult classic", as Wiki states). Wiki lists people it has influenced, but my question is: has the system itself gone anywhere, been of any utility in the rest of logic or mathematics (or even philosophy, although this forum is not for that) since then? Is it, in other words, anything more than a historical curiosity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it was just another guidepost along the way to some better idea. The books listed were mostly written a few years after this one with the exception of one in 2011.

In contrast, Boolean algebra is in use everywhere and is still taught in CS classes.

This is not to say that some future mathematician won’t find some primal utility to his ideas and kick off a revolution. There was some mention of the provability of some famed math problems and so if someone were to use it for that means then it could become mainstream once again.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, jedishrfu.

nomadreid said:
I have received (unasked) a digital edition of "Laws of Form" (1969) by G. Spencer-Brown; I have glanced at it, and also at the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_Form. OK, another logical system; logical journals (e.g. by ASL) are full of them, and I am not sure whether this one stands out (beyond having some fuzzy interpretations that made it a "cult classic", as Wiki states). Wiki lists people it has influenced, but my question is: has the system itself gone anywhere, been of any utility in the rest of logic or mathematics (or even philosophy, although this forum is not for that) since then? Is it, in other words, anything more than a historical curiosity?

The laws of form are still an area of interest, mostly to people interested in the foundations of logic, semiotics, consciousness research, psychology and sociology. Louis Kauffman (U Chicago topologist) has written many papers about LOF and other logical systems (see, for instance, Laws of Form, Majorana Fermions, and Discrete Physics at Researchgate)

Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, jdstarrett.

1. What is "Laws of Form" by G. Spencer-Brown (1969)?

"Laws of Form" is a book written by mathematician George Spencer-Brown in 1969. It is a highly influential work in the fields of mathematics, philosophy, and logic, and explores the concept of self-referential systems and their implications.

2. What is the main idea behind "Laws of Form"?

The main idea behind "Laws of Form" is that all systems, including mathematical and logical systems, can be reduced to a single operation called "distinction." This operation creates a separation between two elements, and from this, all other mathematical and logical concepts can be derived.

3. How does "Laws of Form" relate to other fields of study?

"Laws of Form" has implications in a variety of fields, including mathematics, logic, computer science, and philosophy. It has influenced the development of computer programming languages, as well as the study of self-referential systems and paradoxes in philosophy.

4. What are some criticisms of "Laws of Form"?

Some critics have argued that the concepts presented in "Laws of Form" are overly abstract and that the book is difficult to understand without a strong background in mathematics and logic. Others have questioned the validity of the argument that all systems can be reduced to the operation of distinction.

5. How has "Laws of Form" been applied in real-world situations?

"Laws of Form" has been used in various fields, including computer science and systems theory, to analyze and understand complex systems. It has also been applied in the study of human cognition and decision-making processes. However, the practical applications of the book's concepts are still a subject of debate and further research.