LC circuit current of inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current through an inductor in a given circuit. The problem involves finding the transient and steady state response, but the person is unsure how to handle an LC circuit without resistance. They also question the values for the damping factor and frequency given in the textbook. It is suggested to start from the beginning and write the differential equation for the circuit.
Abdulwahab Hajar

Homework Statement

In the figure given, find i(t) for the inductor
My problem is though when we found i(t) with a source we find the transient response and the steady state response...
I know how to do the transient response of an RLC circuit not an LC one... do i just consider R to be 0

Homework Equations

the damping factor is given as (1/RC) for a parallel RLC circuit
the frequency is given as 1/(√LC) which in this case is 1/2 am I right?

The Attempt at a Solution

There obviously is no damping factor therefore α = 0, however if R = 0 and we substitute for R in the damping factor equation we get infinity??
and for some reason the book says the frequency is 1/4... where did I go wrong??
Thank you

Attachments

• lc circuit.jpg
    lc circuit.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdulwahab Hajar said:
the damping factor is given as (1/RC) for a parallel RLC circuit
Is this the damping factor ζ or is it the Quality factor Q?

The frequency of ½ looks right, though you need to specify its units.

Likes Abdulwahab Hajar
NascentOxygen said:
Is this the damping factor ζ or is it the Quality factor Q?

The frequency of ½ looks right, though you need to specify its units.
In my textbook it's the damping factor which is R/2L for series RLC circuits and 1/RC for parallel RLC circuits

Abdulwahab Hajar said:
In my textbook it's the damping factor which is R/2L for series RLC circuits and 1/RC for parallel RLC circuits
More commonly known as the attenuation factor, ##\alpha##. Are you sure the last one isn't ##\mathsf {\frac 1{2RC}}##?

wikipedia is a good resource for this, along with myriad others

Likes Abdulwahab Hajar
Since the circuit in question does not contain any resistance it is unwise to apply the "standard" RLC circuit formulas. With R = 0, any derivations of quantities or terms that rely on a division by R will be undefined or infinite (in other words, nonsense).

A better approach might be to start from the beginning, writing the differential equation for the given circuit.

Likes Abdulwahab Hajar
gneill said:
Since the circuit in question does not contain any resistance it is unwise to apply the "standard" RLC circuit formulas. With R = 0, any derivations of quantities or terms that rely on a division by R will be undefined or infinite (in other words, nonsense).

A better approach might be to start from the beginning, writing the differential equation for the given circuit.
Thank you

NascentOxygen said:
More commonly known as the attenuation factor, ##\alpha##. Are you sure the last one isn't ##\mathsf {\frac 1{2RC}}##?

wikipedia is a good resource for this, along with myriad others
Never mind, I found it
thanks ;)

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can store and release energy at a specific resonant frequency.

2. How does the current in an LC circuit change over time?

The current in an LC circuit changes over time in a sinusoidal manner, as the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor alternately increases and decreases. The frequency of this oscillation is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor.

3. What is the role of the inductor in an LC circuit?

The inductor in an LC circuit acts as a storage device for electrical energy, converting electrical energy into magnetic energy. It also resists changes in current, causing the current to oscillate in the circuit.

4. How does the current vary at the resonant frequency in an LC circuit?

At the resonant frequency, the current in an LC circuit reaches its maximum value. This is because the inductor and capacitor are able to store and release energy at this frequency most efficiently.

5. How does the value of the inductor affect the current in an LC circuit?

The value of the inductor affects the frequency at which the current oscillates in an LC circuit. A larger inductor value will result in a lower resonant frequency and a slower rate of change in the current, while a smaller inductor value will result in a higher resonant frequency and a faster rate of change in the current.