Why Do We Add Zeroes When Calculating the LCM and HCF of Decimals?

• Thread starter Fiona Rozario
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of LCM and HCF for decimals. One method involves adding zeroes to make the number of decimal places equal, while the other method converts the decimals to fractions. The speaker questions the validity of the first method and asks for justification. It is mentioned that the LCM and HCF concepts generally apply to integers, not decimals. Both methods can lead to different results, causing confusion. The concept of a Lowest Common Multiple for decimals is also debated. The summary concludes that there is no clear method for finding the LCM of decimals and further justification is needed.
Fiona Rozario
Why do we make the number of decimal places equal (by adding zeroes) while calculating the LCM and HCF of decimals? I need to understand this because if I convert the decimals to fractions (without adding zeroes) and calculate the LCM of the fractions, the answers differ.
For eg: LCM of 1.2, 0.60, 0.144 is 3.6 if I make the number of decimal places equal and make them 1200, 600 and 144. But the LCM is 72 if I find the LCM of 12/10, 60/100 and 144/1000.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Before anyone can answer your question, you will have to tell us what you are talking about. The terms LCM (Least Common Multiple) and HCF (Highest Common Factor) apply only to integers. I have never seen them applied to decimal fractions. Perhaps whatever peculiar application this is is multiplying each decimal fraction by a power of 10 in order to have integers so that the LCM and HCF of those integers. But I would like to see what justification there is for such a method!

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 8.02.05 pm.png

I can understand that by multiplying by a power of ten we are converting the decimals to integers and placing the decimal point back in place in the answer. However, if I find the LCM of the fractions 12/10 and 225/10 using the formula (LCM of numerators/HCF of denominators), I am still find LCM and HCF of integers. But the answer differs (quite obviously). But does that mean this method is wrong (using fractions)?

How is it different with fractions?

HallsofIvy said:
Before anyone can answer your question, you will have to tell us what you are talking about. The terms LCM (Least Common Multiple) and HCF (Highest Common Factor) apply only to integers. I have never seen them applied to decimal fractions. Perhaps whatever peculiar application this is is multiplying each decimal fraction by a power of 10 in order to have integers so that the LCM and HCF of those integers. But I would like to see what justification there is for such a method!
Actually they can be defined for any commutative ring, however it is trivial that neither HCF nor LCM exist for the rationals so applying these terms to decimal fractions is meaningless.

The method in the posted image (which appears to define q = HCF(a, b) as the highest q for which integers (n, m) exist such that a = nq; b = mq) is novel, but I'm not sure it leads anywhere?

In the example in the image, the LCM and HCF by that method and by converting to fractions (12/10 and 225/10) is the same. If I use the fractions 120/100 and 225/10, the LCM is 180. The example in my original query has been verified and the difference in answers is true.

Nonetheless, if there were to be a situation where we were required to find the LCM of decimals, I could use one method and someone else would use another method and both end up with different answers without being logically wrong in their respective methods. But that shouldn't be the case. What could be the justification?

Fiona Rozario said:
Nonetheless, if there were to be a situation where we were required to find the LCM of decimals, I could use one method and someone else would use another method and both end up with different answers without being logically wrong in their respective methods
That's the problem - the two methods you describe generally arrive at different results because they are different methods. Furthermore the concept of a Lowest Common Multiple is generally understood as applying only to integers; if you extend the concept to the rationals then you have the problem that any rational is a rational multiple of any other and so there is no LCM.

Who has told you that the result of either of the methods you describe can be called a Lowest Common Multiple?

What is the definition of LCM and HCF of decimals?

The LCM (Least Common Multiple) of decimals is the smallest number that is a multiple of two or more decimals. The HCF (Highest Common Factor) of decimals is the largest number that divides evenly into two or more decimals.

How do you find the LCM of decimals?

To find the LCM of decimals, first convert the decimals into fractions. Then, find the LCM of the denominators. Finally, convert the resulting fraction back into a decimal.

How do you find the HCF of decimals?

To find the HCF of decimals, first convert the decimals into fractions. Then, find the HCF of the numerators. Finally, convert the resulting fraction back into a decimal.

Can the LCM and HCF of decimals be decimals?

Yes, the LCM and HCF of decimals can be decimals. This is because decimals can be converted into fractions, and the LCM and HCF of fractions can also be decimals.

Is it necessary to find the LCM and HCF of decimals?

It depends on the context. In some cases, finding the LCM or HCF of decimals can help simplify calculations or solve problems. However, in other cases, it may not be necessary or relevant.