LCM question -- how many packages of burgers and cheese slices to buy?

• Thread starter paulb203
  • Start date
paulb203
Homework Statement
Q. Rita is going to make some cheeseburgers for a party.
She buys some packets of cheese slices and some boxes of burgers.
There are 20 cheese slices in each packet.
There are 12 burgers in each box.
Rita buys exactly the same number of cheese slices and burgers.
How many packets of each does she buy?
Relevant Equations
N/A
My attempt at an answer. I’m pretty sure this is an LCM question (Lowest Common Multiple).

I started listing the prime factors for the cheese slices; 20 = 2^2 x 5

Then the burgers; 12 = 2^2 x 3

Then put the factors in a Venn diagram and found the LCM was 60

Then divided 60 by 20 for the cheese slices = 3 packets

Then divided 60 by 12 for the burgers = 5 boxes

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct, and your question is?

Likes paulb203
If you are in doubt about your work and final answer, you should always go back to the original problem statement and check if you answer works. It does.

Likes paulb203
Incidentally, the problem as stated is ambiguous. 120, or 180, or 240, or any integer multiple of 60 will also work. Hopefully the original problem statement also says something like "the smallest number of packets she can buy", or "she knows she won't need more than 100" or something.

Last edited:
Likes paulb203, phinds and FactChecker
Ibix said:
Incidentally, the problem as stated is ambiguous. 120, or 180, or 240, or any integer multiple of 60 will also work. Hopefully the original problem statement also says something like "the smallest number of packets she can buy", or "she knows she won't need more than 100" or something.
Anything above 60 send by express mail to the PF lounge.

• Haha
Likes paulb203
phinds said:
Correct, and your question is?
Thanks, phinds.
My question is; is it correct? What about 6 packets and 10 boxes. Or 12 packets and 20 boxes. Etc, etc?

Q. Is the question badly worded?

FactChecker said:
If you are in doubt about your work and final answer, you should always go back to the original problem statement and check if you answer works. It does.
Thanks, FactChecker.
I did go back and check, but I'm wondering if my answer is correct or not. Could it not have been more packets and boxes?

Ibix said:
Thanks, Ibix. That's what I was wondering. As for the original problem statement; I've quoted it word for word.

paulb203 said:
Thanks, FactChecker.
I did go back and check, but I'm wondering if my answer is correct or not. Could it not have been more packets and boxes?
Yes. Any common multiple would literally answer that question. But they probably wanted you to give the least common multiple as you did.

Likes paulb203
Surely two slices of cheese per burger: e.g here.

• Haha
Likes paulb203
Ibix said:
Incidentally, the problem as stated is ambiguous.
Not if you include the title of the thread, which states it is a LCM question. Is the chapter of the book called LCM?

Likes FactChecker
Apropos of nothing.

Mark my words, the day will come when food product companies learn about prime numbers and start producing packages of 13 patties, 17 buns and 19 cheese slices. (Now the question becomes how many party-goers do you need to invite (or hire) to get all the burgers eaten.)

• Haha
Likes FactChecker, paulb203 and phinds
DaveC426913 said:
Not if you include the title of the thread, which states it is a LCM question. Is the chapter of the book called LCM?
Ah, that wasn't part of the question.

DaveC426913 said:
Apropos of nothing.

Mark my words, the day will come when food product companies learn about prime numbers and start producing packages of 13 patties, 17 buns and 19 cheese slices. (Now the question becomes how many party-goers do you need to invite (or hire) to get all the burgers eaten.)
One of my favourite philosophers, Apropos of Nothing. Up there with Zeno of Elea.

• Haha
Likes SammyS, FactChecker, DaveC426913 and 1 other person

1. How do you calculate the least common multiple (LCM) in this scenario?

To calculate the LCM for the number of packages of burgers and cheese slices to buy, you need to find the smallest number that is a multiple of both the number of burgers and cheese slices needed. This can be done by listing out the multiples of each number and finding the smallest number that appears in both lists.

2. Why is finding the LCM important in this question?

Finding the LCM is important because it helps determine the minimum number of packages of burgers and cheese slices to buy in order to have enough of each item for a given number of people. It ensures that you have enough of both items without any leftovers.

3. Can you use a different method to find the number of packages to buy?

While there are other methods to determine the number of packages to buy, finding the LCM is the most efficient way to ensure you have enough of both items without any waste. Other methods may involve trial and error or using a different type of calculation.

4. What happens if you don't calculate the LCM and just buy a certain number of packages?

If you don't calculate the LCM and just buy a certain number of packages, you may end up with not enough of one item or too much of another. This can result in either not having enough food for everyone or wasting food that goes uneaten.

5. Is there a formula to calculate the LCM?

There is no specific formula to calculate the LCM, but you can use methods such as listing out multiples, prime factorization, or using a calculator to find the LCM of two numbers. The goal is to find the smallest number that is a multiple of both numbers being considered.