Lead pellet shot vertically into a clay block

In summary, the student is trying to find the velocity and distance of a block that has been shot with a bullet and has some clay embedded in it. They first use the PCM equation to find the final velocity. They then use the SUVAT formula to find the distance the block has traveled. However, they don't have time or acceleration to solve for these values. They then say that if losses aren't to be considered, they can find the relationship of transferring energy and see how the upward force at the moment of impact compares to the gravitational force pulling down on the block.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

PCM ∑pi=∑pf
v2=u2+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

First, using the PCM equation, I found the final velocity of the block, which is about 10.5 ms-1.
Then by using the SUVAT formula, i would be able to find the distance moved by the block, but I don't have time nor acceleration. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 90608

Homework Equations

PCM ∑pi=∑pf
v2=u2+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

First, using the PCM equation, I found the final velocity of the block, which is about 10.5 ms-1.
How do you figure this? Won't the block with the embedded bullet rise until gravity causes it to fall back to earth?
Then by using the SUVAT formula, i would be able to find the distance moved by the block, but I don't have time nor acceleration. Any hints?

Maybe you need a different SUVAT formula.

Sorry If i sound ignorant, because I'm a chemist not a physicist...but I know some. Is it assumed that the clay block takes all of the impact energy? I mean, do you have to account for energy loss due to the pellet entering, compressing, and displacing the clay matter? This energy transfer would realistically create a smaller rise than modeled if this loss isn't accounted for. But, it would also make the problem stupid difficult to solve...so I imagine there is an assumption that energy isn't lost due to this? Or am I making this over complicated?

If losses aren't to be considered, try finding a way to relate the forces where they balance each other. Maybe start with a force diagram of all forces present. Find the relationship of transferring energy, and see how the upward force at the moment of impact compares to the gravitational force pulling down on the block.

P.S. Haven't did problems like this is a LONG time, so if my rambling doesn't make sense, feel free to ignore it lol...I'm in the right book just not sure if I'm on the same page

Janiceleong26 said:
which is about 10.5 ms-1
Not quite right. The bullet stays in the clay.
Janiceleong26 said:
I don't have time nor acceleration
I think you can safely assume this is in Earth's surface level gravitational field.
SteamKing said:
Won't the block with the embedded bullet rise until gravity causes it to fall back to earth?
I assume Janice meant final in the sense of 'at the end of the impact phase'.
chad kimsey said:
do you have to account for energy loss due to the pellet entering, compressing, and displacing the clay matter?
During impact, certainly, which is why Janice did not use conservation of energy to get the 10.5 m/s.

haruspex said:

I think you can safely assume this is in Earth's surface level gravitational field.

During impact, certainly, which is why Janice did not use conservation of energy to get the 10.5 m/s.

Oh...so the mass of the block would now be 100g ? Ok, now I get v=10m/s exactly.
And by using v2=u2+2as, I'm able to get the answer which is 5.1m, but why do we assume that the acceleration of the block is g?

haruspex said:

I mean, I can't imagine this situation.. How does the clay block stays stationary in air without any "support" ?

Janiceleong26 said:
I mean, I can't imagine this situation.. How does the clay block stays stationary in air without any "support" ?
Before the impact? It only says it is stationary at the moment of impact. Maybe it was thrown up in the air and the bullet struck it at the highest point. It really doesn't matter how it came to be.
Janiceleong26 said:
why do we assume that the acceleration of the block is g?
The block plus bullet are now in free fall.

haruspex said:
Before the impact? It only says it is stationary at the moment of impact. Maybe it was thrown up in the air and the bullet struck it at the highest point. It really doesn't matter how it came to be.

The block plus bullet are now in free fall.
I see I see, ok thank you !

What is the purpose of shooting a lead pellet vertically into a clay block?

The purpose of shooting a lead pellet vertically into a clay block is to study the penetration and impact of the pellet on the block. This can provide valuable information for ballistics research and can also be used to test the effectiveness of different types of ammunition.

How is the velocity of the pellet affected by shooting it vertically into a clay block?

The velocity of the pellet is affected by the distance it has to travel through the air and the resistance it encounters from the clay block. As the pellet travels through the air, it gradually loses velocity due to air resistance. When it hits the clay block, it experiences a sudden increase in resistance which causes it to slow down even more.

What factors can affect the penetration of the lead pellet into the clay block?

The penetration of the lead pellet can be affected by several factors including the velocity of the pellet, the shape and size of the pellet, the density and hardness of the clay block, and the angle at which the pellet is shot into the block. These factors can all impact the amount of force applied to the clay block and ultimately determine the depth of penetration.

How can the results of shooting a lead pellet vertically into a clay block be used?

The results of this experiment can be used to gather data on the ballistic performance of a particular type of ammunition. This information can then be used to improve the design and effectiveness of ammunition for various applications such as hunting or self-defense. It can also help researchers better understand the physics and mechanics of projectile impact.

Is it safe to conduct this experiment?

As with any experiment involving firearms, it is important to follow proper safety protocols. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear and ensuring that the area is clear of any obstructions or potential hazards. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the firearm and its capabilities before conducting the experiment. If done safely and responsibly, shooting a lead pellet vertically into a clay block can be a valuable and informative scientific experiment.