Lead shielding against Van allen belts?

In summary, lead shielding is not an effective protection against high energy particle radiation due to its high atomic number. While it may reduce the dose rate from low-energetic particles, it also increases the dose rate from high-energetic particles. The Apollo missions were able to cross the Van Allen belts within hours, and there are numerous papers discussing the radiation levels in the belts. Despite this, moon landing conspiracy theorists continue to use the Van Allen belts as "proof" of the hoax. However, discussing conspiracy theories is against the rules and there is no point in trying to win the argument against them as they ignore scientific evidence. If needed, one can seek information from credible sources outside of Wikipedia.
james gander
(sorry - not sure about the prefix)
I have read that lead shielding is dangerous against high energy particle radiation because of the high atomic number in lead.

The particles would have high chance of hitting the lead atomic nuclei and producing x-rays.

I am fed up with moon landing conspiracy theorists using the Van Allen belts radiation as "proof" we didnt go to the moon.

Could someone please post some pages that are not Wikepedia (they say it is in on the conspiracy) that i can use for a citation? A paper done by some credible scientists would be excellent. Something explaining that lead is a bad thing to use with this type of radiation.

I know you can't win with the conspiracy lot but i can win this Van Allen belt lie that they are spreading.

Thankyou very much, your help is really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lead is not a bad thing. Yes, it increases the dose rate from high-energetic particles because they start showers in the material, but it reduces the much higher dose rate from low-energetic particles significantly (by simply stopping them and their showers).

The Apollo missions crossed the Van Allen belts within hours, the dose rate there is well-known, multiplied with a few hours the result is a small additional dose. There are tons of papers about radiation levels in the belts.

james gander said:
i can win this Van Allen belt lie that they are spreading
There is nothing to win - the claim is ridiculous anyway, to keep it up you have to ignore science completely. If you can do that, you can ignore one more comment about science as well.

Likes bcrowell
mfb said:
There is nothing to win - the claim is ridiculous anyway, to keep it up you have to ignore science completely. If you can do that, you can ignore one more comment about science as well.

Sorry mfb i should of checked my post. I didnt mean i "can" win the Van Allen argument. It was meant to say i "cant" win the argument. I agree with you totally, there is nothing to win.

It is just this conspiracy drives me nuts mad with their lies and made up science.

You are aware that discussions about conspiracy theories is against the PF rules, right? (Even debunking discussions are not allowed...)

berkeman said:
You are aware that discussions about conspiracy theories is against the PF rules, right? (Even debunking discussions are not allowed...)
Sorry i was not aware. I can see why that rule should be enforced though. Thanks.

Likes berkeman
You could post about this on http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/ , but read their rules carefully first, and they may already have lots of material on the topic of moon landings supposedly being a hoax.

1. What are Van Allen belts and why is lead shielding necessary?

Van Allen belts are regions of intense radiation surrounding the Earth, formed by charged particles from the solar wind. Lead shielding is necessary to protect astronauts and equipment from this harmful radiation.

2. How does lead shielding protect against Van Allen belts?

Lead is a dense material that is able to absorb and block high-energy radiation. When spacecraft or satellites are equipped with lead shielding, it serves as a barrier between the radiation and the sensitive equipment inside.

3. Is lead shielding the only form of protection against Van Allen belts?

No, there are other materials and techniques that can be used to protect against Van Allen belts, such as aluminum, polyethylene, and electromagnetic shielding. However, lead is often the most effective and commonly used material.

4. Can lead shielding completely eliminate the risk of radiation exposure from Van Allen belts?

No, lead shielding cannot completely eliminate the risk of radiation exposure. While it can greatly reduce the amount of radiation that reaches astronauts and equipment, some radiation may still penetrate the shielding.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using lead shielding against Van Allen belts?

One potential drawback is the added weight and cost of incorporating lead shielding into spacecraft or satellites. It may also be difficult to find a balance between providing enough shielding for protection and not adding too much weight to the spacecraft. Additionally, lead is a toxic material and proper precautions must be taken during the manufacturing and disposal process.