Leader Dots in the Table of Contents

• MHB
  • Thread starter A.Magnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the speaker is writing a thesis using a LaTex template provided by their school. However, there is an issue with the table of contents, as it is missing the leader dots connecting the titles to their respective page numbers. The speaker is seeking help from others on how to fix this problem, as they are not a LaTex expert. They provide their code and wish everyone a happy holiday season.
A.Magnus
I am writing a thesis using a LaTex template given to me by my school. Everything looks fine, except there is an issue with the table of content. As you could see from the attached image, it is missing the leader dots connecting the title names to their respective page numbers. Unfortunately, the folks at my school do not know how to fix it. I am quite adept in using LaTex but I am not a guru. I would therefore love to have some of you telling me on how to fix the problem. Thank you beforehand for your gracious helping hand and time spent. ~MA

PS. The codes are also attached here, let me know if you need additional info on code. In the meantime, Happy Holidays!

View attachment 6302

Code:
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage[margin=2in,left=1in,right=1in,bottom=1in,includefoot]{geometry}
\usepackage{setspace}
\usepackage{array}
\usepackage{amsthm,amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage[english]{babel}
\addto\captionsenglish{%
  \renewcommand{\contentsname}{\centerline{\normalsize \normalfont TABLE OF CONTENTS}}%
}

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[english]{babel}

\usepackage{changepage}

\begin{document}

}
\addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}\normalfont ABSTRACT}
\pagenumbering{roman}
\setcounter{page}{3}
\cleardoublepage
}

\end{document}

View attachment 6300

Attachments

• ScreenShot_LaTex-TOC.PNG
    ScreenShot_LaTex-TOC.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
You could try using
Code:
\tableofcontents
maybe. See here.

What are leader dots in the table of contents?

Leader dots are a visual aid used in a table of contents to connect the section or chapter titles with their corresponding page numbers. They are typically a series of dots that run from the title to the page number, making it easier for the reader to locate specific sections.

Why are leader dots used in the table of contents?

Leader dots are used in the table of contents to improve the visual organization and readability of the document. They help guide the reader's eye to the correct page number and make it easier to navigate through the contents of the document.

How are leader dots formatted in the table of contents?

The formatting of leader dots in the table of contents may vary depending on the style guide being followed. However, they are typically aligned with the page numbers and evenly spaced between the title and page number. They can also be customized with different symbols or styles.

Can leader dots be used in other types of lists?

Yes, leader dots can be used in other types of lists, such as a list of figures or tables. They can also be used in a document's index to connect the entry with its corresponding page number.

Are leader dots necessary in a table of contents?

No, leader dots are not necessary in a table of contents. Some style guides do not require the use of leader dots, and some document layouts may not benefit from them. However, they can be a helpful visual aid for the reader and are commonly used in many documents.