Leaky capacitor and movement of charges

In summary, the leakage current is due to the dielectric having non-zero conductivity and the electric field keeps electrons moving towards the oppositely charged plate.
Papikoss
Assume that we have a parallel plate capacitor filled with an imperfect dielectric. Then we apply a DC Voltage between the plates and expect some leakage current through the capacitor due to the dielectric having non-zero conductivity.

My question regards the movement of electric charges within the dielectric and through the electric circuit.

My best guess is that the (limited) charged particles, which are provided by the dielectric media, move under the influence of the electric field towards the oppositely charged plate, neutralizing some of the charges contained within the conductor. Now since the capacitor’s charge Q = CV should remain constant, some electrons have to move from the positively charged plate to the negatively one through the source of the voltage, thus closing the circuit.

If that’s correct, then the current flow should stop when the dielectric cannot provide any more charged particles, which should all be located on the plates of the capacitor at that time.

Is it realistic to assume that those particles are abundant, or maybe that there is some ‘hopping’ of electrons from the conducting plate to the dielectric media and vice versa, in a similar way to the electrons moving from a conductor of high conductivity to a conductor of lower conductivity?

Or do I have it all wrong? :confused: Can you provide me with some articles explaining the phenomenon?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The particles that move are electrons, nothing else, and yes they are abundant. If you understand how electrons move through a resistor connected to a DC voltage, you should also understand this. Just consider that the dielectric is a resistor.

Thanks a million for your reply! I’ll have to disagree though!

The particles that move could be ions, as in the case of salt water, and they can’t be abundant since the concentration of salt is limited.

Moreover, I think that there is a fundamental difference between a resistance and a capacitor connected to a DC Voltage. In the latter case I’m not sure if electrons leave behind the conducting plates and flow through the dielectric making complete loops around the circuit!

That is the point I’m trying to clarify: How does the circuit close, producing a steady leakage current?

Of course, as I said, I may have it all wrong! :smile:

Papikoss said:
Thanks a million for your reply! I’ll have to disagree though!

The particles that move could be ions, as in the case of salt water, and they can’t be abundant since the concentration of salt is limited.

Moreover, I think that there is a fundamental difference between a resistance and a capacitor connected to a DC Voltage. In the latter case I’m not sure if electrons leave behind the conducting plates and flow through the dielectric making complete loops around the circuit!

That is the point I’m trying to clarify: How does the circuit close, producing a steady leakage current?

Of course, as I said, I may have it all wrong! :smile:

Generally, a leaky capacitor IS modeled as an ideal capacitor in parallel with a resistor. Look at your initial post. It suggests that the dielectric has non-zero conductivity - implying resistivity.
Papikoss said:
Assume that we have a parallel plate capacitor filled with an imperfect dielectric. Then we apply a DC Voltage between the plates and expect some leakage current through the capacitor due to the dielectric having non-zero conductivity.

Modeling the leaky capacitor as an ideal capacitor in parallel with a resistor is not convenient for me right now because I lose what really happens as far as the establishment of a closed circuit and current flow within the dielectric is concerned. :smile:

Related to Leaky capacitor and movement of charges

1. How does a leaky capacitor affect the movement of charges?

A leaky capacitor, also known as a lossy capacitor, allows some of the stored charge to dissipate over time. This means that the capacitor will not hold the same amount of charge as it originally did. As a result, the movement of charges in the circuit will be affected because there will be less charge available to flow through the circuit.

2. What causes a capacitor to leak?

A capacitor can leak due to a variety of reasons, including manufacturing defects, exposure to high temperatures, and presence of impurities in the dielectric material. Over time, the dielectric material can break down and create pathways for the charge to escape, leading to a leaky capacitor.

3. How can you tell if a capacitor is leaky?

One way to tell if a capacitor is leaky is by using a multimeter to measure its capacitance. A leaky capacitor will have a lower capacitance value than its rated value. Additionally, a visual inspection of the capacitor for any physical damage or bulging can also indicate a leaky capacitor.

4. How can a leaky capacitor be fixed?

Unfortunately, a leaky capacitor cannot be fixed. Once the dielectric material has broken down, it cannot be repaired. The only solution is to replace the capacitor with a new one. To prevent future leakage, it is important to choose high-quality capacitors and avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures.

5. What are the consequences of using a leaky capacitor?

The consequences of using a leaky capacitor can range from minor performance issues in a circuit to complete failure of the device. A leaky capacitor can cause fluctuations in voltage and can also affect the accuracy of timing circuits. In some cases, a leaky capacitor can also lead to overheating and damage to other components in the circuit.