Leaping Off the 400-Year-Old Bridge in Bosnia

• Thread starter mandy9008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the jumper takes off from the bridge and travels at a speed of 21.23 m/s before impacting the water. The splash is heard by a spectator on the bridge 2.167s after the jump.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

In Bosnia, the ultimate test of a young man's courage used to be to jump off a 400 year old bridge (now destroyed) into the River Neretva, 23 m below the bridge. (a) How long did the jump last? (b) How fast was the jumper traveling upon impact with the river?
(c) If the speed of sound in air is 341 m/s, how long after the jumper took off did a spectator on the bridge hear the splash?

Homework Equations

a. and b. change in Y=Voy t - .5 gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. v=21.23 m/s
b. t=2.167s
c. Vy=Voy - gt
341 m/s =21.23 m/s - 9.8 m/s2 t
t=-32.63s
I know that time cannot be negative, but I have tried the inverse of this number also, and I am still getting it wrong. Am I even using the correct equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
mandy9008 said:
a. v=21.23 m/s
b. t=2.167s
OK.
c. Vy=Voy - gt
341 m/s =21.23 m/s - 9.8 m/s2 t
t=-32.63s
I know that time cannot be negative, but I have tried the inverse of this number also, and I am still getting it wrong. Am I even using the correct equation?
No, you are not. The sound travels through the air at a constant speed. (The sound is not a projectile.)

Could you point me in the right direction as to the equation I am supposed to use?

mandy9008 said:
Could you point me in the right direction as to the equation I am supposed to use?
What equation relates speed, distance, and time for something moving at constant speed? That's what you'll need to find the time it takes for the sound of the splash to travel up to the bridge.

(To find the total time, don't forget to add in the time it takes for the man to fall, which you've already calculated.)

I would like to first clarify that the described activity of jumping off a 400-year-old bridge into a river can be extremely dangerous and should not be attempted without proper safety measures in place.

To answer the first question, we can use the equation d=Vit + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, Vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration (in this case, due to gravity), and t is time. Since the initial velocity is 0 (the jumper is starting from rest), we can simplify the equation to d=1/2at^2. Plugging in the given values, we get d=23 m and a=9.8 m/s^2. Solving for t, we get t=2.167 seconds.

To answer the second question, we can use the equation Vf=Vi+at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. Again, since the initial velocity is 0, we can simplify the equation to Vf=at. Plugging in the given values, we get Vf=21.23 m/s.

For the third question, we can use the equation d=Vt, where d is the distance, V is the speed of sound, and t is time. We know the distance is 23 m and the speed of sound is 341 m/s, so we can solve for t. t=d/V=23 m/341 m/s=0.067 seconds. This is the time it takes for the sound of the splash to reach the spectator on the bridge. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes that the sound travels in a straight line and does not take into account any potential obstacles or reflections that may affect the speed of sound.

1. What is the 400-Year-Old Bridge in Bosnia?

The 400-Year-Old Bridge in Bosnia, also known as Stari Most, is a historic bridge located in the city of Mostar, in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was built in the 16th century and has become a symbol of the country's heritage and culture.

2. Is it safe to leap off the 400-Year-Old Bridge?

No, it is not safe to leap off the 400-Year-Old Bridge. The bridge is over 24 meters high and the water below is only about 5 meters deep, which can cause serious injuries or even death. It is also illegal to jump off the bridge.

3. Why do people still leap off the 400-Year-Old Bridge?

People leap off the 400-Year-Old Bridge as a tourist attraction and a way to earn money. It has become a tradition for local divers to jump off the bridge and collect money from tourists. However, this practice is discouraged due to safety concerns.

4. What are the consequences of leaping off the 400-Year-Old Bridge?

Leaping off the 400-Year-Old Bridge can result in serious injuries or death. It is also considered illegal and can lead to fines or imprisonment. Additionally, the bridge itself can be damaged from the impact of jumping and may require expensive repairs.

5. Are there any alternative ways to experience the 400-Year-Old Bridge?

Yes, there are alternative ways to experience the 400-Year-Old Bridge without risking your safety or breaking the law. Visitors can walk across the bridge and admire its architecture, or watch the divers from a safe distance. There are also guided tours available to learn more about the history and significance of the bridge.