Learn how to fight back against no fix products

• Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
In summary: I have several motorcycles, all Harleys. The newer ones have interesting fasteners, some with Torx heads and some with Allen heads. The older ones are strictly SAE fasteners, but the newer ones use a lot of metric fasteners. I have a nice collection of metric and SAE sockets, in both 6- and 12-point heads, allen wrenches, as well as Torx sockets. Whatever it takes, I just buy the sockets.Manufacturers make a killing tuning people into local radio.There is pressure on engine manufacturers to make their fuel metering systems "tamper proof" in some jurisdictions.If you want to be able to fix a carburetor (or have
houlahound
So trying to fix my garden trimmer and every bolt had a non standard proprietary head on it. Near impossible to fix anything these days.

Time to organise against. My property is mine.

Here is what you need to fight back;

https://www.ifixit.com

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a great website, and a really important issue.

I'm concerned about it because of sustainability and competition implications rather than property rights. As far as I'm concerned, any property I currently own is a happy accident, and it's completely unfair that so many people have less, just because they got a less favourable roll of the dice on genes and/or environment.

But making things unrepairable is an ecological disaster, and making them repairable only by the manufacturer stifles competition - and in my book both of those are very bad outcomes.

Plus, fixing things is really fulfilling.

Apple in particular seems to do its absolute utmost to make its devices unrepairable (which is one of the reasons why I never buy Apple).

Where is the engineering ethics.

I purchased did not enter a lease agreement with my products.

Phone batteries are glued in now, designed to last for so many charge cycles then buy an entire new phone ... ETHICS IN ENGINEERING BOYO's

Apologies for the caps shouting.

houlahound said:
So trying to fix my garden trimmer and every bolt had a non standard proprietary head on it. Near impossible to fix anything these days.

Time to organise against. My property is mine.
I have several motorcycles, all Harleys. The newer ones have interesting fasteners, some with Torx heads and some with Allen heads. The older ones are strictly SAE fasteners, but the newer ones use a lot of metric fasteners. I have a nice collection of metric and SAE sockets, in both 6- and 12-point heads, allen wrenches, as well as Torx sockets. Whatever it takes, I just buy the sockets.
andrewkirk said:
But making things unrepairable is an ecological disaster, and making them repairable only by the manufacturer stifles competition - and in my book both of those are very bad outcomes.
I agree on the both points, but for a lot of people, being non-repairable by the consumer isn't a concern, since they don't have the slightest clue how to fix things. For the minority of us who can take things apart, figure out what's wrong, and replace or fix the non-working parts, we would support competitors who make fixable items. Unfortunately, I'm afraid we are a small minority.
andrewkirk said:
Plus, fixing things is really fulfilling.
Absolutely!
andrewkirk said:
Apple in particular seems to do its absolute utmost to make its devices unrepairable (which is one of the reasons why I never buy Apple).
I had an Apple //e computer years ago, and the school where I worked gave me two Macs. I didn't want to buy one for myself because at the time, anything made by them cost twice as much as the competing PCs. And I have no use for an iPhone (or even a smart phone).

Any you guys old enough to remember when the first push button car radio tuners came out instead of the rotary dial.

Manufacturers made a killing tuning people into local radio.

houlahound said:
So trying to fix my garden trimmer and every bolt had a non standard proprietary head on it.
What types of heads? Can you post some pics? (I presume you're talking about something more annoying than just so-called-secure torx drive?)

Likes davenn
Negative on the pics, the problem is no longer a problem.

houlahound said:
Negative on the pics, the problem is no longer a problem.
How did you manage to fix it?

Spot welded a lever to each bolt, took them out and replaced them. Was a standard thread. Had to cut off a bunch of plastic safety guards to get in with the welder.

If I was on an hourly rate I could have bought a new one cheaper, it was a pride thing.

Finished doing that and a local mechanic gave me a multi tool that he got on eBay. Fits everything else...for next time.

There is pressure on engine manufacturers to make their fuel metering systems "tamper proof" in some jurisdictions. If you want to be able to fix a carburetor (or have one at all), you are going to have to push back against regulations that prevent manufacturers from building their engines for durability rather than regulatory compliance.

Also, there is a cost element involved. If you are buying a low-tier product in a market where competition is fierce, then expect to find a lot of corners cut. You can replace the entire weed-eater for the price of repairing a high quality unit.

If you want to fight back against the disposable products, then all you have to do is buy serviceable products. They do exist, but they usually cost more. Here you go. Fight back with your money.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-10-...QHdtL6CE-XXkTCbpcsPsKBoCrNjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

RogueOne said:
Also, there is a cost element involved. If you are buying a low-tier product in a market where competition is fierce, then expect to find a lot of corners cut. You can replace the entire weed-eater for the price of repairing a high quality unit.

If you want to fight back against the disposable products, then all you have to do is buy serviceable products. They do exist, but they usually cost more. Here you go. Fight back with your money.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-10-in-Straight-Shaft-Gas-Brush-Cutter-SRM-410U/202060596?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D28I-InsideGardenOther|&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGpqvNfY7Y8UIg1DOR4TVXYQHdtL6CE-XXkTCbpcsPsKBoCrNjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Excellent points...

houlahound said:
Any you guys old enough to remember when the first push button car radio tuners came out instead of the rotary dial.

Manufacturers made a killing tuning people into local radio.
?
I have no idea what you mean here.
The first push-button radios also had a tuning knob. You turned the knob until you found a station you liked, and then did something to one of the buttons to set that station. I had several cars that were made before radios were standard equipment.

Mark44 said:
You turned the knob until you found a station you liked, and then did something to one of the buttons to set that station.
If I remember correctly... you tuned in a station with the knob, then pulled a button out of it normal position, then pushed it back into lock the station to the button... ?

Last edited:
OCR said:
If I remember correctly... you tuned in a station with the knob, then pulled a button out of it normal position, then pushed it back into lock the station to the button... ?
Yes, that's how I remember it, too.

Likes OCR
I recall better now, its as you pointed out, still I do remember it was a service many people were misled into thinking you needed a mechanic to do which is my point and what the ifix site addresses.

1. What are "no fix products"?

"No fix products" refer to products that are intentionally designed to break or become obsolete after a certain period of time. This forces consumers to continuously purchase new products, leading to waste and higher costs.

2. How can I identify a no fix product?

No fix products can be identified by their short lifespan or frequent malfunctions. They may also have limited or no warranty, making it difficult to get them repaired.

3. Why should I fight back against no fix products?

Fighting back against no fix products is important for both consumers and the environment. It helps to reduce waste, save money, and hold companies accountable for their unsustainable practices.

4. What are some ways to fight back against no fix products?

One way to fight back against no fix products is to research and purchase products from companies that have a reputation for producing durable and repairable products. Additionally, supporting legislation that promotes product durability and repairability can also make a difference.

5. Can I repair a no fix product myself?

In some cases, it may be possible to repair a no fix product yourself. However, it is important to be cautious and follow proper safety procedures when attempting to repair any product. It is also important to consider the cost and feasibility of repairing the product compared to purchasing a new one.