Learn How to Use Siesta Software: Tutorial and Sample Files Available

• Thread starter carbon9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a tutorial on using Siesta software. They have found the manual and some example files, but are still searching for a more comprehensive tutorial. Suggestions are made to check the official site and various resources are shared.
carbon9
Hi all,

I'm searching a tutorial on the usage of Siesta software. I have found the manual of Siesta from the developer's website (http://www.uam.es/departamentos/ciencias/fismateriac/siesta/ ) but I'm now looking for some example files and explanations. Could you please point me to a tutorial link, file if you know one?

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably checked the official site's tutorials? Those can be of some use, does the current release have examples / templates included? Long time since had anything to do with Siesta.

Hi Perennial,

Yes I've checked the site, there is a manual that gives the explanation of commands. Also, there are exampe *.fdf files in the Siesta folder but I'm looking a tutorial that explains all the capabilities of Siesta on examples, if any.

Regards,

yep, don't know if such is directly available but you'd have to browse & read the material on the site and parse it from there, like the "execution tutorial"

http://www.uam.es/departamentos/ciencias/fismateriac/siesta/Tutorials/Barcelona-2007/Basic-Execution.ppt

and the "siesta-basics" slideset for one.

Short and sweet general paper: http://www.riken.go.jp/lab-www/library/publication/review/pdf/No_29/29_042.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Perennial. I've downloaded all the stuff from official site. If I find extra files, I'll share on this board.

Regards,

1. What is Siesta software?

Siesta software is a computer program used for simulating and analyzing electronic systems, particularly at the atomic and molecular level. It is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and nanotechnology research.

2. Why should I learn how to use Siesta software?

Learning how to use Siesta software can greatly enhance your research capabilities, as it allows for accurate modeling and prediction of electronic structures and properties. This can lead to new insights and discoveries in your field of study.

3. Where can I access tutorials for learning Siesta software?

Tutorials and sample files for Siesta software are available on the official Siesta website, as well as on various online forums and communities dedicated to computational materials science.

4. How long does it take to learn how to use Siesta software?

The time it takes to learn how to use Siesta software may vary depending on your previous experience with similar programs and your familiarity with computational methods. However, with dedication and practice, you can become proficient in using Siesta within a few weeks.

5. Is Siesta software free to use?

Yes, Siesta software is open-source and free to use for academic and non-commercial purposes. However, if you intend to use it for commercial purposes, you may need to obtain a license from the developers.