Learn Step-By-Step Factorization with New Equations

In summary: Your answer in step 3 is correct as far as it goes. But the reason it might be considered incorrect is that you can still factor a 2 out of the second factor. ie -4y(x - 2y).-DanIn summary, factorization was discussed in the conversation and two equations were given to solve. The first equation was solved using the difference of squares formula, while the second equation was left for the asker to try. Some confusion arose regarding the negative sign in the final answer, but it was clarified that both answers were correct due to the property of negative signs. Finally, a third equation was provided for the asker to practice and the mistake of not factoring out a 2 was identified.
Rigbee
Hi, I am new to factorization. Would someone please solve these two equations and explain step by step what was done. thanks1. (x-y)^2 - (x-z)^2 =
2. (5x+2)^2 - (3x-4)^2 =

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rigbee said:
Hi, I am new to factorization. Would someone please solve these two equations and explain step by step what was done. thanks1. (x-y)^2 - (x-z)^2 =
2. (5x+2)^2 - (3x-4)^2 =

For the first one, we have: $(x-y)^2 - (x-z)^2=x^2-2xy+y^2-x^2+2xz-z^2=-2xy+y^2+2xz-z^2\\ =2x(z-y)+(y-z)(y+z)=(z-y)(2x-y-z)$

Can you try the second one?

Rigbee said:
2. (5x+2)^2 - (3x-4)^2 =

Hello and welcome to MHB, Rigbee!

Whenever you see an expression of the form:

\(\displaystyle a^2-b^2\)

This is called the difference of squares, and may be factored as follows:

[box=blue]
Difference of Squares

\(\displaystyle a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)\tag{1}\)[/box]

So, for your first problem, you then identify:

\(\displaystyle a=x-y,\,b=x-z\)

And then plug them into the difference of squares formula (1):

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=((x-y)+(x-z))((x-y)-(x-z))\)

Now, remove the inner parentheses on the right (distributing as needed):

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=(x-y+x-z)(x-y-x+z)\)

Combine like terms:

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=(2x-y-z)(-y+z)\)

Now arrange with binomial factor in front, and with no leading negatives.

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=(z-y)(2x-y-z)\)

This gives you the same result as evinda, but does not require you to expand the squared binomials and your result is already factored. Either method is good, it just depends on your preference.

Incidentally, what we have done is called factoring, not solving. In order to solve, we need expressions on both sides of the equal sign so that we have an equation, and we need to know for which variable we are solving.

So, as suggested, try the second one, using either method...post your work and we will be glad to check it.

MarkFL said:
Hello and welcome to MHB, Rigbee!

Whenever you see an expression of the form:

\(\displaystyle a^2-b^2\)

This is called the difference of squares, and may be factored as follows:

[box=blue]
Difference of Squares

\(\displaystyle a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)\tag{1}\)[/box]

So, for your first problem, you then identify:

\(\displaystyle a=x-y,\,b=x-z\)

And then plug them into the difference of squares formula (1):

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=((x-y)+(x-z))((x-y)-(x-z))\)

Now, remove the inner parentheses on the right (distributing as needed):

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=(x-y+x-z)(x-y-x+z)\)

Combine like terms:

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=(2x-y-z)(-y+z)\)

Now arrange with binomial factor in front, and with no leading negatives.

\(\displaystyle (x-y)^2-(x-z)^2=(z-y)(2x-y-z)\)

This gives you the same result as evinda, but does not require you to expand the squared binomials and your result is already factored. Either method is good, it just depends on your preference.

Incidentally, what we have done is called factoring, not solving. In order to solve, we need expressions on both sides of the equal sign so that we have an equation, and we need to know for which variable we are solving.

So, as suggested, try the second one, using either method...post your work and we will be glad to check it.

Thank you MarkFL and Evinda,

I'm only in grade 5 so I apologize if my questions are simplistic. I am just starting to learn factoring. I was told the answer is -(2x-y-z)(y-z) leading with the negative. Why is your answer different? If they are both correct, what did they do different to get this result? I'm trying to understand the steps necessary.

Rigbee said:
Thank you MarkFL and Evinda,

I'm only in grade 5 so I apologize if my questions are simplistic. I am just starting to learn factoring. I was told the answer is -(2x-y-z)(y-z) leading with the negative. Why is your answer different? If they are both correct, what did they do different to get this result? I'm trying to understand the steps necessary.

The answers are the same, note that Mark's answer has $(z - y)$ while yours has $(y - z)$. And as you hopefully know, $(z - y) = (-1)(y - z) = -(y - z)$ which is where the negative sign comes from :)

I tried your method with this equation:

(x-3y)^2 - (y-x)^2

step one [(x-3y) + (y-x)] [(x-3y) - (y-x)]

step two (x-3y-y+x) (x-3y+y-x)

step three -2y(2x-4y)

final step -2y(x-2y) I know this is incorrect, I just need some help identifying what I am missing. Thanks

Rigbee said:
I tried your method with this equation:

(x-3y)^2 - (y-x)^2

step one [(x-3y) + (y-x)] [(x-3y) - (y-x)]

step two (x-3y-y+x) (x-3y+y-x)

step three -2y(2x-4y)

final step -2y(x-2y) I know this is incorrect, I just need some help identifying what I am missing. Thanks
Your answer in step 3 is correct as far as it goes. But the reason it might be considered incorrect is that you can still factor a 2 out of the second factor. ie [tex]-4y(x - 2y)[/tex].

-Dan

1. What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts, called factors. It is commonly used in algebra to simplify equations and solve for unknown variables.

2. Why is it important to learn step-by-step factorization?

Learning step-by-step factorization can greatly improve problem-solving skills in math, particularly in algebra. It allows for easier manipulation of equations and helps with understanding more complex concepts.

3. What are some common techniques used in factorization?

Some common techniques used in factorization include finding common factors, using the distributive property, and using the difference of squares formula. Other techniques such as grouping and trial and error can also be used depending on the equation.

4. How can factorization be applied in real-life situations?

Factorization is widely used in various fields such as finance, economics, and computer science. It can be used to simplify complicated mathematical models and equations, making them easier to understand and manipulate.

5. Are there any resources available for learning step-by-step factorization?

Yes, there are many online resources such as tutorials, practice problems, and interactive games that can help with learning step-by-step factorization. Additionally, many textbooks and educational websites also offer lessons on factorization.