Learning Eigenvectors & Linear Differential Equations in 24 Hours

In summary, the speaker is discussing an "Independent Study" component for their Intro Linear Algebra class in college. They have procrastinated and now have 24 hours to solve four questions that go beyond what was covered in class. They have a strong understanding of certain topics such as Gaussian Elimination and Orthogonality, but need resources to help them solve the questions. They mention having the Howard Anton textbook, but it does not cover the necessary topics. The conversation also touches on the fact that the speaker should be finding their own resources and not relying on others to do their work for them.
jey1234
Hi guys, in my college we have this "Independent Study" component for the Intro Linear Algebra class. Basically, I have to solve 4 questions that go beyond what was covered in class. Sadly, being the procrastinator I am, I haven't looked at it until now and the assignment is due Friday. The questions look simple and non-conceptual.

So far, I have a very strong understanding of:
  • Gaussian Elimination
  • Inverses using adjoints
  • Finding determinants
  • Orthogonality
  • Cross Product

Was taught a little bit of:
  • Subspaces
  • Linear Independence
  • Basis

I've also already taken single variable, differential and integral calculus courses.

So now in the next 24 hours I have, what resources (online) would help me the most to just be able to solve these 4 questions. Normally, I like to learn something thoroughly but this time it's an exception. I have the Howard Anton "Elementary Linear Algebra 10th Ed. Abridged" Textbook but it doesn't contain these topics. Thanks.

CE.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I think that part of the assignment is that you find the necessary resources. We are not here to do your work for you.

Also, this isn't the right forum for schoolwork, that's what the Homework forum is for.

Anton certainly does cover eigenvalues and eigenvector. Chapter 5 is titled "Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors"! Have you ever actually opened the book?

I understand the pressure of having to learn and understand complex concepts in a short period of time. However, I would caution against trying to learn Eigenvectors and Linear Differential Equations in just 24 hours. These are important and fundamental concepts in linear algebra and differential equations, and trying to rush through them may lead to a shallow understanding that could hinder your future studies and research.

That being said, if you are determined to complete the assignment in the given time frame, I would recommend utilizing online resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and YouTube tutorials. These platforms offer comprehensive and easily accessible lessons on Eigenvectors and Linear Differential Equations.

Additionally, make sure to review the material you have covered in class and try to connect it to the new concepts you are learning. This will help solidify your understanding and make it easier to solve the questions.

However, I would highly recommend seeking help from your instructor or a tutor if you are struggling with the material. They can provide valuable insights and guidance that may not be available through online resources.

In the future, I would suggest managing your time effectively and not leaving assignments until the last minute. This will give you ample time to learn and understand concepts thoroughly, leading to a more meaningful and long-lasting understanding.

Remember, learning is a process and it takes time and effort to truly grasp complex concepts. Don't be too hard on yourself and try your best to learn and understand the material in a meaningful way. Good luck with your assignment.

1. What is the importance of learning eigenvectors and linear differential equations?

Eigenvectors and linear differential equations are fundamental concepts in mathematics and physics. They are used to understand and solve complex systems and equations and are essential for many applications in science, engineering, and technology.

2. How can I learn eigenvectors and linear differential equations in just 24 hours?

While it may not be possible to fully master these concepts in just 24 hours, it is certainly possible to gain a basic understanding and solve simple problems with proper guidance and focused study. Utilizing online resources, textbooks, and seeking help from experts can help you learn these topics efficiently.

3. What are some real-world applications of eigenvectors and linear differential equations?

Eigenvectors and linear differential equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, electrical engineering, computer graphics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems such as electrical circuits, population dynamics, and molecular vibrations, among others.

4. Can I apply the concepts of eigenvectors and linear differential equations to other areas of study?

Yes, the concepts of eigenvectors and linear differential equations have broad applications and can be applied to various fields, including data analysis, signal processing, and machine learning. Understanding these concepts can also help in understanding more advanced mathematical topics.

5. Are there any common challenges in learning eigenvectors and linear differential equations?

Yes, some students may struggle with the abstract nature of these concepts and the mathematical notation used to represent them. It is essential to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and calculus before diving into these topics. Additionally, practicing solving problems and seeking help when needed can aid in understanding these concepts better.