Learning GR with Leonard Susskind: Prerequisites Needed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of Leonard Susskind's lectures on YouTube for learning general relativity (GR). It is suggested that Susskind's lectures are aimed at a general audience and may not be the best source for learning GR. Instead, it is recommended to check out the GR lecture series from MIT OCW or a new textbook by R. J. Adler. It is also mentioned that a good understanding of special relativity (SR) is necessary for learning GR, as it is a special case of GR. A recommended introductory resource for both SR and GR is the book "Landau and Lifshitz vol. 2."
docnet
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How good are Leonard Susskind's lectures on YouTube for learning GR?
I took differential geometry and introductory physics sequence in college, but not special relativity.

How good are Leonard Susskind's lectures on YouTube for learning GR?

Are there better sources to learn from?Thank you

Edit: is learning SR a prerequisite for GR?

Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
Summary:: How good are Leonard Susskind's lectures on YouTube for learning GR?

Edit: is learning SR a prerequisite for GR?
Yes. GR reduces to SR locally. That fact is used a lot. If you don’t understand SR then that will be confusing.

Likes vanhees71 and docnet
Even more than that, SR is (as the name suggests) a special case of GR so effectively you will be learning both at the same time if you start from GR. However, in many cases the discussion in a typical GR course will involve referring back to the special case of SR. Starting with GR will therefore often require you to accept some things at face value as reasonable.

Likes vanhees71 and docnet
I'd recommend checking out the GR lecture series from MIT OCW rather than that one. Susskind aimed his at a general audience. The ones from MIT are an actual course.

Likes vanhees71, PeroK and docnet
I just learned from an advertizement by Springer that R. J. Adler wrote a brandnew textbook on GR for advanced undergraduates. As his older graduate-level book (1965, 1975) it looks like a gem but is much more introductory

https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-61574-1

I think for a first encounter with GR you need a good understanding of SR. My favorite at the introductory level for both is Landau and Lifshitz vol. 2.

Likes Orodruin, Dale and docnet

1. What is GR and why is it important to learn?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory developed by Albert Einstein to explain the force of gravity and its effects on the universe. It is important to learn because it is the foundation of modern physics and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of large-scale objects in space, such as planets and galaxies.

2. What background knowledge do I need to have before learning GR with Leonard Susskind?

To fully understand and appreciate Leonard Susskind's lectures on GR, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, special relativity, and calculus. Some knowledge of quantum mechanics and linear algebra may also be helpful.

3. Are there any specific math skills required to learn GR?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus, particularly differential and integral calculus, is essential for learning GR. Additionally, knowledge of vector calculus and tensor analysis is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and equations in GR.

4. How can I prepare myself for learning GR with Leonard Susskind?

Aside from having a solid understanding of the necessary math and physics concepts, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the basics of GR through online resources or introductory textbooks. It may also be helpful to watch some of Leonard Susskind's other lectures on related topics to get a feel for his teaching style.

5. Is it possible to learn GR without a formal physics education?

While having a formal physics education can certainly make learning GR easier, it is not impossible to learn without one. With dedication and a strong understanding of the necessary math and physics concepts, anyone can learn GR. However, it may require more effort and self-study compared to someone with a formal education in physics.