Learning Java and C++ for Job Opportunities

In summary: Java is good to find job, but is c++ that bad ??It depends on the local market. I've been offered several jobs based on my C programming experience, without knowing Java.
Domenico94
Hi everyone... I'm a communication system engineering student and in my university we use studying Java. Now, for this summer, when I ll have free time, I was thinking about doing some practice with programming and maybe studying a new language, such C++( it s still a widesprrad language and I think Id like the freedom it gives you) . The problem I want to ask is, is it convenient( in terms of job opportunities), to learn java and c++ or only doing good java programming would be enough?? Are there many entry level jobs out there as java may have, or given it s a though language, employers will just require you more experience?
P.s.I d like to work in the field od medical imaging in the future, where c++ is very used too, although I need experience working with other companies before.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your employment potential is much greater with C++ and Java than Java alone.

Likes Domenico94
Dr. Courtney said:
Your employment potential is much greater with C++ and Java than Java alone.
And with the job experience instead? Is it there much difference with the experience required to get, say, a c++ position, rather than a Java one?

That depends on where you are and on the specific job you are applying for.

Companies weigh education, experience, and programming skills differently in their hiring processes.

You need to convince them that you can really program. Code samples and detailed descriptions of completed projects is most convincing.

Likes Domenico94
Dr. Courtney said:
That depends on where you are and on the specific job you are applying for.

Companies weigh education, experience, and programming skills differently in their hiring processes.

You need to convince them that you can really program. Code samples and detailed descriptions of completed projects is most convincing.
Yes, the fact about projects is true...but how much difference would it be in terms of job opportunities ( for entry level jobs) between a java and c++ programmer? Java is good to find job, but is c++ that bad ??

It depends on the local market. I've been offered several jobs based on my C programming experience, without knowing Java.

Supply and demand is a local phenomena in job markets.

Likes Domenico94
Java I learned it on university and in my country is an important skill for finding a job, anyway you should also consider Python or more job focused like Mathematica or Matlab. Saludos

Luois Mers said:
Java I learned it on university and in my country is an important skill for finding a job, anyway you should also consider Python or more job focused like Mathematica or Matlab. Saludos
I m not interested much in mathlab..anyway I ve done some search, and I think it would be more convenient for me to study c or c ++...do they have the same job opportunities??

Commercial applications for Windows OS commonly are written in Microsoft's version of C++, and C++ is also easily portable to other OSes.
In recent times the trend is for C# to become more usual for Windows apps, but that language is rarely implemented for environments other than Windows.
Linux distributions focus on development in C or C++ or a combination, (since the original Unix OS was largely designed to be specifically an environment in which to develop projects using C).

Last edited:
Oh..alright...and the application of c instead?would it be good AS c++ to find job?

In the commercial development environment applications can be quite large, and so C++ is definitely preferable, since it is an object orientated language.
This aids enormously with projects involving multiple programmers, and also helps speed up development times.
For many scientific and system/technical applications plain C can be better as it's 'closer' to programming the CPU at machine level.
It's definitely best to have knowledge of both though, (and your C++ code will be much better anyway if you have a good grasp of C beforehand).

1. What are the job opportunities for learning Java and C++?

Learning Java and C++ can open up a wide range of job opportunities in the field of software development. Many companies, both large and small, use these programming languages to develop applications, websites, and software systems. This includes industries such as finance, healthcare, education, and technology. Additionally, there is a high demand for professionals with knowledge of Java and C++, making it a valuable skill to have in the job market.

2. Is it necessary to learn both Java and C++?

While Java and C++ are both popular programming languages, they serve different purposes. Java is commonly used for developing web and mobile applications, while C++ is often used for system programming and developing high-performance applications. It is not necessary to learn both languages, but having knowledge of both can make you a more versatile and in-demand candidate for job opportunities.

3. How long does it take to learn Java and C++?

The time it takes to learn Java and C++ can vary depending on the individual's dedication and learning style. Generally, it takes a few months to gain a basic understanding of these languages and a few years to master them. It is important to regularly practice and apply the concepts learned in order to become proficient in these languages.

4. Are there any resources available for learning Java and C++?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Java and C++. These include online tutorials, books, video courses, and coding bootcamps. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and pace. It is also beneficial to practice coding regularly and work on projects to apply the concepts learned.

5. Are there any prerequisites for learning Java and C++?

While there are no strict prerequisites for learning Java and C++, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can be helpful. It is also recommended to have some experience with other programming languages, such as Python or HTML, as it can make learning Java and C++ easier. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn these languages regardless of their background or experience.