Learning Photo Flasher Circuit Basics

In summary: Thanks so much for the input! I'll continue to work on this and update when I have more information.In summary, the author is trying to learn more about electronics by taking apart old devices and trying to understand a photo flash circuit from an old camera. However, he is still lost and doesn't understand the circuit well. He is thankful for any advice.
1rel
Hello everyone

I'm new here, and currently trying to learn more about electronics. - Since my knowledge is very limited, I've decided to take apart some old devices from the garbage, and recently tried to understand a photo flash circuit from an old camera, and to trigger it with my own bench power supply. - But with no success yet.

I tried to trace out all the components, and make a schematic (in DipTrace), just as an excercise. I'm sure that there are still plenty of errors in it! (E.g. the transformers and unidentifiable SMD parts etc. - The trigger coil seems to be connected to ground on both sides, but I'm not sure, since I wasn't able to see where its pins go...)
xenon_flasher_comp_00b_mod_00a.png

xenon_flasher_schematics_00d_mod_00a.png

Pin 1 is ground.
Pin 2-4 seem to be for the status LEDs. I grounded pin 2/3.

I don't know the required voltage and how to test things without damaging the circuit.

I tried to apply voltage to the remaining pins (actually by trial and error) of maximum 6 volts (since the battery was about 6 volts). And I monitored the charge of the large photo capacitor (not on the picture)... - But it didn't charge at all yet.

Pin 4 seems to be for the trigger, since it goes to the SCR (which is new to me).

I'm basically lost, since I don't understand the circuit. - Search on the web didn't help much yet, since my circuit has multiple parts that I don't yet understand.I'm thankful for any advice!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I suspect you'd learn more, and more quickly, by buying one of the readily available breadboard kits that are for the purpose of learning the basics. That and a cheap multimeter and you'll learn a ton of stuff, and from the ground up.

Thanks! - I didn't have the time yet to work on this since the post but I'd like to find another cam with a flash on in the electro garbage nearby soon to see a working circuit in action... So that it would also be possible to measure required voltages and monitor the behavior on the oscilloscope (I actually got from that thrash container as well recently :D ).

And Greg, yes, I'll keep you up to date if I find out more about this. - The main issue is this "flyback transformer", need to learn more about coils, inductive loads, transformers, these are still quite tricky for me to understand... and to visualize mentally. How the magnetic field in a coil collapses and generates that required high voltage for the trigger... Actually I'd like to build a stroboscope out of similar parts, which works in similar way like in the flasher above.

Hello there,

First off, congratulations on taking the initiative to learn more about electronics! It's great that you are exploring and experimenting with old devices to gain a better understanding of circuitry.

From your description, it seems like you are trying to understand and trigger a photo flash circuit from an old camera. This can be a challenging task, especially if you have limited knowledge in this area. However, with patience and persistence, you will be able to figure it out.

Based on your schematic, it seems like you have identified some of the main components, such as the transformer and SCR. The trigger coil, as you mentioned, is likely connected to ground on both sides and is responsible for triggering the flash. The status LEDs are most likely indicators for the charging and flash status.

To test the circuit without damaging it, I would recommend using a multimeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit. This will give you a better understanding of how the circuit works and where the voltage is being applied. It's also important to note that the voltage required for the circuit may be different from the battery voltage, so it's best to check the specifications of the components.

When it comes to triggering the flash, pin 4 is most likely the trigger input. This pin is connected to the SCR, which is a type of semiconductor switch. To trigger the flash, you will need to apply a voltage to this pin, which will then activate the SCR and allow the high voltage from the transformer to charge the photo capacitor.

I understand that this may seem overwhelming and that you may not fully understand the circuit yet. My advice would be to continue researching and learning about the different components in the circuit. You can also try reaching out to online forums or communities for assistance and advice.

Overall, learning about electronics takes time and practice, so don't get discouraged. Keep experimenting and asking questions, and you will eventually be able to understand and trigger the photo flash circuit. Best of luck!

1. What is a photo flasher circuit?

A photo flasher circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to trigger a camera flash unit. It works by detecting a sudden change in light and then sending a signal to the flash unit to emit a burst of light. This allows for better control over the timing and intensity of the flash, resulting in better quality photos.

2. How does a photo flasher circuit work?

A photo flasher circuit typically consists of a light-sensitive component, such as a phototransistor or photodiode, and a timing circuit. When the light level changes, the light-sensitive component triggers the timing circuit, which then sends a signal to the flash unit to emit a burst of light. The timing circuit can be adjusted to control the duration and intensity of the flash.

3. What are the main components of a photo flasher circuit?

The main components of a photo flasher circuit include a light-sensitive component, a timing circuit, and a power supply. The light-sensitive component is responsible for detecting the change in light, while the timing circuit controls the duration and intensity of the flash. The power supply provides the necessary energy for the circuit to function.

4. What are some common applications of photo flasher circuits?

Photo flasher circuits are commonly used in photography, as they allow for better control over the timing and intensity of a flash. They can also be used in security systems, motion sensors, and other devices that require a sudden burst of light to be triggered by a change in light levels.

5. Can I build my own photo flasher circuit?

Yes, it is possible to build your own photo flasher circuit with the proper knowledge and equipment. However, it is important to note that working with electronic circuits can be dangerous if you are not familiar with proper safety precautions. It is recommended to consult with an experienced individual or refer to reliable sources before attempting to build a photo flasher circuit on your own.