Learning QFT: How to Progress & Suggestions for Senior in High School

• Thread starter Gross_joshka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Best path
In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school looking to learn quantum field theory (QFT) and is seeking advice on what to learn next. They have already learned regular mechanics at a university level, most of E&M at the griffiths level, and quantum mechanics at the level of Griffiths. They also have knowledge in linear algebra, calculus, and some tensor calculus/differential geometry. They are currently learning classical mechanics and want to learn complex analysis and statistical mechanics, but are open to suggestions on what to learn next.
Gross_joshka
Hi guys. It's my first post here so I am not sure how this works but I'll give it a try. So I'm a senior in high school and I'm trying to progress my way up to learning QFT. I was wondering what I should do next in my series of things to learn. So far, I've learned the following:
1. Regular mechanics at a university level (Halliday/Resnick level if you like)
2. Most of E&M at the griffiths level; I skipped some bits here and there but I got the main stuff down like Maxwells eq.'s, etc.
3. Quantum mechanics at the level of Griffiths but I haven't learned the later chapters on the wkb approx. and scattering and stuff like that
I also know lin. Alg., calculus of course, and some tensor calc/differential geometry (I studied some lecture notes on GR a while back). So how should I proceed so I can learn QFT? Right now, I am learning the classical mechanics with the lagrangin and hamiltonin formalisms, etc. So that is useful and also getting me acquinted with variational calc. As for relativity, I only know it to the extent of the chapter in Griffiths E&M book. I really think i should learn complex analysis after the mechanics and somewhere want to learn stat. Mech. But i really don't know as there are many directions I can go. Suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I feel silly as a senior in undergrad at the same level of knowledge as a senior in high school.

What I can tell you though, is that you will need to know E&M more than just "the main stuff". You'll need to know it in depth.

Related to Learning QFT: How to Progress & Suggestions for Senior in High School

What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework used in physics to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

Why is learning QFT important?

QFT is an important tool in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and explaining the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It has applications in many fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.

Is QFT difficult to learn?

QFT can be challenging to learn, but it is not impossible. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and a strong background in physics. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn QFT.

What are some tips for progressing in QFT?

Some tips for progressing in QFT include building a strong foundation in mathematics and basic quantum mechanics, practicing problem-solving, and seeking help from experts or online resources when needed.

Is QFT suitable for high school students?

QFT is a complex and advanced topic that is typically taught at the graduate level in universities. While it may be challenging for high school students, it is not impossible to learn. It is recommended that students have a strong understanding of mathematics and physics before attempting to learn QFT.