Learning Radiometry, Photometry, Optics, Thermodynamics, ....

In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's search for resources to understand topics such as Radiometry, Photometry, Optics, Thermodynamics, and Fluid Mechanics. The individual expressed a preference for video tutorials over books, but noted a lack of video resources for Photometry and Radiometry. They mentioned plans to study Optics through Khan Academy and iLectureOnline. The individual also expressed a desire to understand the physics behind the simulation program Radiance and requested resources for concepts such as Lighting, Daylighting, Artificial Lighting, Sky types, Illuminance, Luminance, Radiation, Brightness, Luminosity, and Flux. They also mentioned a background in multivariable calculus and a preference for calculus-based resources, particularly for understanding
rdgn
Learning Radiometry, Photometry, Optics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics(Statics & Dynamics) with great resources.

I'm looking for resources for understanding the topics above. I prefer video tutorials as opposed to books but I couldn't find any video resources on Photometry and Radiometry (I guess I'll have to settle for books). As for Optics, I plan on studying the series on Khan Academy/iLectureOnline (unless you guys suggest something else).

I tend to prefer video tutorials because I'm quite short on time, they usually give me enough insight without spending too much time on it, then I simply augment what I lack with books.

In general I'm looking for resources that would help me understand the physics behind Radiance(the command line program). Esp. concepts and terminologies such as Lighting, Daylighting, Artificial Lighting, Sky types, Illuminance, Luminance, Radiation, Brightness, Luminosity, Flux, etc. including their relationship to material properties (e.g. transmissivity, transmittance, reflectance, specularity, etc.)

If you're not familiar what Radiance (https://www.radiance-online.org
) is, it's simply a simulation program for simulating things such as Luminance, Illuminance, etc. for buildings mostly.
It doesn't matter though if you're not familiar with Radiance since I've already found some resources for learning the program itself that now I'm more interested in looking for resources to understand the phycsi behind it.

As for Thermodynamics and Fluids, I can see that Khan Academy and some other resources have them but they're not Calculus-based. I've already studied Thermodynamics, but it wasn't Calc-based. I'm looking to deepen my understanding of the two fields through good resources, again preferably calc-based and videos. If no videos exist, then any excellent resource would suffice. I'm also assuming the Thermodynamics course @ MITOpenCourseWare is not calc-based.

I have a background in multivariable calculus so it might be easier for me to understand these topics in terms of Math. I do have an idea of these topics, but they're descriptive for the most part, not concrete/mathematical. But of course it'd be better if the resources are both descriptive and mathematical.

Let me know if I've missed some topics that would be crucial for understanding Radiance.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TL;DR Ver:
Learning resources for Learning Radiometry, Photometry, Optics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, preferably videos, if not then books or any other resource. Also preferably with a focus for applications in buildings(civil eng/arch) and calculus-based. Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between radiometry and photometry?

Radiometry is the scientific study of electromagnetic radiation, including its measurement and effects on matter. Photometry is a subset of radiometry that focuses specifically on the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and how it is perceived by the human eye.

2. Can you explain the basics of optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter. It encompasses the study of how light is produced, how it travels, and how it interacts with lenses, mirrors, and other optical instruments.

3. How do thermodynamics relate to radiometry and photometry?

Thermodynamics is the study of how energy is converted from one form to another and how it affects matter. In the context of radiometry and photometry, thermodynamics is important because it explains how electromagnetic radiation is produced, transferred, and detected.

4. What are some practical applications of radiometry and photometry?

Radiometry and photometry have a wide range of practical applications, including measuring light and heat in industrial processes, designing and calibrating lighting systems, and studying the behavior of electromagnetic radiation in various environments.

5. How do these branches of science contribute to our understanding of the physical world?

Studying radiometry, photometry, optics, and thermodynamics allows us to better understand the fundamental properties of light and how it interacts with matter. This knowledge has practical applications in technology and engineering, but it also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and the laws that govern it.