Least distance between two complex numbers on two loci

In summary, the student is trying to find two points on a line that will give the least value of abs(z-w). He calculates z1 and z2, finds they must lie on a line l2, and uses the distance formula to find the coordinates of these points.
moriheru

Homework Statement

This is a CIE A'level maths P3 question out of an exam from 2013 in October/November. As there is no markscheme ( I at least can't find one), I would be grateful if someone could look at my solution to the problem and correct me if I made a mistake.
The problem is 8.(b) below.
IMG_1880.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first locus they are asking for is that of a circle with centre (0,-1) and radius 1 and the second locus is a line 135 deg. to the horizontal (real number axis) starting at x=2. I call z1 and z2 the points which will give the least value of abs(z-w). Both these points must lie on a line l2. My further working and sketch of loci and the line are in the following image.In the last step I use the distance formula for the two complex numbers I calculated in the earlier steps. In the earlier steps I equated the equation of l2 and the equations for the loci.
IMG_1908.JPG

Thanks for any effort! And sorry for the clumsy exposition!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moriheru said:

Homework Statement

This is a CIE A'level maths P3 question out of an exam from 2013 in October/November. As there is no markscheme ( I at least can't find one), I would be grateful if someone could look at my solution to the problem and correct me if I made a mistake.
The problem is 8.(b) below.
View attachment 195845

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first locus they are asking for is that of a circle with centre (0,-1) and radius 1 and the second locus is a line 135 deg. to the horizontal (real number axis) starting at x=2. I call z1 and z2 the points which will give the least value of abs(z-w). Both these points must lie on a line l2. My further working and sketch of loci and the line are in the following image.In the last step I use the distance formula for the two complex numbers I calculated in the earlier steps. In the earlier steps I equated the equation of l2 and the equations for the loci.
View attachment 195848

Thanks for any effort! And sorry for the clumsy exposition!
I get the same result. You can simplify it to √2 + 1/√2 - 1

Likes moriheru
Thanks! That is great! Is my method correct and is there any general method how to approach these problems geometrically or is it just case by case observation? I know of a calculus based approach. As far as I know one expresses abs(z-w) in terms the general coordinates of any point on the loci and then sets the derivative equal to zero. Is this correct? And how would the general form for abs(z-w) look like? Thanks for any further effort?

moriheru said:
is there any general method how to approach these problems geometrically or is it just case by case observation?
A general method (not just circles and lines) will necessarily be by calculus. Of course, minimising |z-w| is the same as minimising |z-w|2, which simplifies things a little.
In many cases, it will be a bit easier with a geometric approach. In this one, I did it by rotating the circle's centre through 45 degrees about the origin. Then I only needed the horizontal distance from the circle to the line x=√2.

Likes moriheru
Thanks a lot ! And interesting approach. I will keep that in mind.

1. What is the concept of "least distance between two complex numbers on two loci"?

The least distance between two complex numbers on two loci refers to the shortest distance between two points on two different complex number planes. It is calculated by finding the difference between the two complex numbers and taking the absolute value of the result.

2. How is the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci calculated?

The least distance between two complex numbers on two loci is calculated by finding the difference between the two complex numbers and taking the absolute value of the result. This can also be represented on a graph by drawing a line between the two points and measuring the distance using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the significance of calculating the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci?

Calculating the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It helps to determine the closest distance between two points in a complex number system and can be used to solve optimization problems, find shortest paths in network analysis, and measure the accuracy of mathematical models.

4. Can the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci be negative?

No, the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci cannot be negative. The absolute value function used in the calculation ensures that the result is always positive. This is because distance is a positive quantity and cannot have a negative value.

5. What are some examples of real-world problems that involve finding the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci?

Real-world problems that involve finding the least distance between two complex numbers on two loci include finding the shortest route between two cities on a map, calculating the minimum travel time between two locations, and determining the shortest path for a network of interconnected nodes. It can also be used in engineering and physics to find the shortest distance between two points in a 3D space.