Find the argument of the complex numbers

In summary, the conversation involves finding the loci representing complex numbers satisfying given equations and finding the argument of the complex numbers represented by the points of intersection of these loci. The equations involve the complex number ##1-i##, denoted by ##u##, and the complex number ##z##. The conversation also discusses the use of the complex conjugate to find the distance between a complex number and the origin. The point ##(0,0)## on the argand diagram represents the origin, while the point ##(1,-1)## represents the complex number ##u##.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a) The complex number ## 1-i ## is denoted by ##u##. On an argand diagram, sketch the loci representing the complex numbers ## z## satisfying the equations ## |z-u|= |z| and |z-i|=2 ##
b) Find the argument of the complex numbers represented by the points of intersection of the two loci above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)The points on the argand diagram are ## (1,-i), (0,i)## now for ## |z-u|= |z| ##, the textbook indicates that we join point## (1,-i) ## to the origin and draw a bisector of the line segment, why? for point ## (0,i),## this point will have a radius of 2 units and the loci will be a circle, for this one i understand.
b)Now the points of intersection seem to be the point ## (2,i)## which gives an angle of ##θ=26.56^0 ## which is correct, and the other intersection point will give ## θ= 270^0 ## or ##-0.5Π##, i don't understand how the second argument of ## θ= 270^0## is found. regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Chwala,

chwala said:
##|z−u|=|z|##
with ##u## known is an equation for complex number ##z##. What does this give you when you work it out (write it out completetly in real part and imaginary part of ##z##) ?

PS you can start with ##|c| = c^*c ##

[edit] unclear and typo: I mean ##|c|^2 = c^*\,c \ ## with ##c^*## the complex conjugate of ##c##.

Last edited:
Is this correct
##(z-u)^2=z^2 ##
##(z-1+i)(z-1+i)= z^2##
##z^2-2z+2iz-2i=z^2##
##-2z+2iz-2i=0##
##z(-2+2i)=2i##
##z=(2i/-2)+(2i/2i)##
##z=-i+1##
##z=1-i##
from here the point on argand diagram is ##(1,-1)## now how do we draw the locus, why are we joining this to the origin and then we go ahead to find the bisector of this line segment from the point ##(1,-1)## to the origin.

Last edited:
Is it correct to state that ##|z-i|=2## is equal to
##(z-i)(z-i)=4##
##z^2-2iz-5=0## how do we proceed from here? ok here i know that the center is ##(0,1)## how do we get here...good evening Bvu

ok we can say##(z-i)^2=2^2##
##(z-i)=2## centre ##(0,1)## and radius of 2 units comparing with the other one i.e ##(z-1+i)=0## centre ##(1,-1)## radius 0 units? are these statements valid

Last edited:
chwala said:
Is it correct to state that ##|z-i|=2## is equal to
##(z-i)(z-i)=4##
No. For a complex number ##z##, ##|z|²= \bar z z## or ##|z|²= z^* z##, where ##\bar z## and ##z^*## both denote the complex conjugate of ##z##.

sam then how do we solve## |x-2|=4?##
I think the correct step would be ##(x-2)(x-2) - 16 = 0##
Or are you saying am wrong on this? alternatively ##(x-2)=4, x=6 ##
## -(x-2)=4, x=-2##
the correct values are ##x=-2 and x=6##
then
it follows that ##|z-1|=2## is the same as ##(z-i)(z-i)=4##
kindly note that i am not saying your approach is wrong, i just want to know whether my statement is correct, if its correct can i build on it to answer the question or do i have to use your approach of ##z.z*##

chwala said:
sam then how do we solve## |x-2|=4?##
I think the correct step would be ##(x-2)(x-2) - 16 = 0##
Or are you saying am wrong on this? alternatively ##(x-2)=4, x=6 ##
## -(x-2)=4, x=-2##
then
If ##x## is real, then yes, this is correct.
In your previous post, ##z-i## was complex. In that case, ##|z-i|^2=(\bar z+i)(z-i)##.

chwala said:
it follows that ##|z-1|=2## is the same as ##(z-i)(z-i)=4##
kindly note that i am not saying your approach is wrong, i just want to know whether my statement is correct, if its correct can i build on it to answer the question or do i have to use your approach of ##z.z*##
No, ##|z-i|=2## doesn't imply that ##(z-i)(z-i)=4##.
For complex numbers with a non-zero imaginary part, ##|z|² \neq z²##.

Last edited:
ok i get you now using ## |z| = zz^* ## i am getting ## z= 1-i ,## and ##zz^*=2## is this correct?

chwala said:
ok i get you now using ## |z| = zz^* ## i am getting ## z= 1-i ,## and ##zz^*=2## is this correct?
Yes, ##|1-i|²=2##.

(By the way, it should be ## |z|² = zz^* ##)

For the loci .. from post 1, why are we drawing a bisector of the line segment, secondly how do we arrive at ## ∅=-0.5π=270^0##

chwala said:
For the loci .. from post 1, why are we drawing a bisector of the line segment, secondly how do we arrive at ## ∅=-0.5π=270^0##
You are drawing a bisector because the equation ##|z-u|= |z|## represents all the complex numbers (or points in the argand diagram) that are at the same distance from the point ##(0,0)## and the point ##u=(1,-1)##.

You may want to look at the diagram for this question:
complex.jpg

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Thanks Samy A , i will research more in this area, particularly sketching of the locus...how did we arrive at the point ##(0,0)##?
I think that is where i am not understanding, i already know that ##u## is the point ##(1,-1)##

chwala said:
Thanks Samy A , i will research more in this area, particularly sketching of the locus...how did we arrive at the point ##(0,0)##?
I think that is where i am not understanding, i already know that ##u## is the point ##(1,-1)##
We get the point ##(0,0)## because ##|z|## is equal to the distance between the complex number (or point) ##z## and the origin ##(0,0)##.
Or said differently, if ##z=(x,y), |z|²=x²+y²=(x-0)²+(y-0)²##.

Thanks Samy, now clear.

1. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane. It is denoted by the Greek letter theta (θ) and is measured in radians.

2. How do you find the argument of a complex number?

To find the argument of a complex number, you can use the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the imaginary part divided by the real part, or use the Pythagorean theorem to find the angle of the vector formed by the complex number in the complex plane.

3. Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. This indicates that the vector representing the complex number is in the clockwise direction from the positive real axis, instead of the counterclockwise direction.

4. What is the range of possible values for the argument of a complex number?

The range of possible values for the argument of a complex number is from -π to π radians, or from -180° to 180°. However, the argument can also be expressed in multiples of 2π, as complex numbers are periodic in nature.

5. Why is the argument of a complex number important?

The argument of a complex number is important because it helps us understand the geometry and behavior of complex numbers in the complex plane. It also allows us to perform mathematical operations, such as multiplication and division, on complex numbers more easily by converting them to their polar form.