Left and Right Multiplication Maps on Algebras .... Bresar, Lemma 1.24

In summary: A-module homomorphisms, so we can rewrite this expression as \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i } R_{ w_j }). Finally, since the multiplication in A is also distributive, we can write \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i w_j }). (b) In this step, we are using the fact that the multiplication in A is commutative. This means that we can rearrange the terms in the expression \sum_{ i = 1 }
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with the proof of Lemma 1.24 ...

Lemma 1.24 reads as follows:View attachment 6253
My questions regarding the proof of Lemma 1.24 are as follows ... ...Question 1

In the above proof by Bresar, we read:" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle A\) is simple, the ideal generated by \(\displaystyle b_n\) is equal to \(\displaystyle A\).

That is \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j = 1\) for some \(\displaystyle w_j , z_J \in A\). ... ... "
My question is ... ... how does the fact that the ideal generated by \(\displaystyle b_n\) being equal to \(\displaystyle A\) ...

imply that ... \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j = 1\) for some \(\displaystyle w_j , z_J \in A\) ...?Question 2In the above proof by Bresar, we read:" ... \(\displaystyle 0 = \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } \ ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i } ) \ R_{ w_j }\)\(\displaystyle = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } \ ( \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ w_j b_i z_j } ) \)\(\displaystyle = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ c_i } \)

... ... "

My questions are

(a) can someone help me to understand how \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } \ ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i } ) \ R_{ w_j } \)\(\displaystyle = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } \ ( \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ w_j b_i z_j } )
\)
(b) can someone help me to understand how\(\displaystyle \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } \ ( \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ w_j b_i z_j } ) \)\(\displaystyle = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ c_i }\)

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

===========================================================*** NOTE ***

So that readers of the above post will be able to understand the context and notation of the post ... I am providing Bresar's first two pages on Multiplication Algebras ... ... as follows:
View attachment 6254
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6255

Physics news on Phys.org
/Thank you for your question, Peter. I am happy to help you understand the proof of Lemma 1.24 in Bresar's book.

Question 1:

The fact that the ideal generated by b_n is equal to A means that every element in A can be written as a linear combination of the elements in the set {b_n}. This is because the ideal generated by b_n is the smallest ideal in A that contains b_n, and since A is simple, the only ideals in A are {0} and A itself. Therefore, every element in A can be written as a linear combination of the elements in {b_n}.

Now, since we are trying to prove that \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j = 1 for some w_j , z_J \in A, we can use the fact that every element in A can be written as a linear combination of the elements in {b_n}. This means that we can write w_j and z_j as linear combinations of the elements in {b_n}, and therefore we can write \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j as a linear combination of the elements in {b_n}. Since the ideal generated by b_n is equal to A, this means that \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j must be equal to 1, since 1 is also an element of A.

I hope this helps to clarify how the fact that the ideal generated by b_n is equal to A implies that \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j = 1 for some w_j , z_J \in A.

Question 2:

(a) In the first step of the proof, we are using the fact that the multiplication in A is associative. This means that we can rearrange the parentheses in the expression \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } \ ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i } ) \ R_{ w_j } to get \sum_{ j = 1 }^m (R_{ z_j } \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i }) \ R_{ w_j }. Now, we can use the fact that R_{ z_j } and R_{ w_j } are right

1. What is the significance of "Left and Right Multiplication Maps on Algebras"?

The left and right multiplication maps on algebras are important tools in the study of algebraic structures. These maps help to define and analyze the algebraic operations of multiplication and addition, and they also provide a way to understand the relationship between different elements in an algebra.

2. What is Lemma 1.24 in Bresar's study of left and right multiplication maps?

Lemma 1.24 in Bresar's study is a mathematical statement that provides a key result on the properties of left and right multiplication maps. It states that for any algebra, the left and right multiplication maps are injective if and only if the algebra is a division algebra.

3. How do the left and right multiplication maps differ?

The left and right multiplication maps differ in the order in which they apply the operations of multiplication and addition. The left multiplication map applies the multiplication operation first, followed by addition, while the right multiplication map applies addition first, followed by multiplication.

4. What is the role of Lemma 1.24 in understanding division algebras?

Lemma 1.24 is a crucial result in understanding division algebras because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for an algebra to be a division algebra. This means that if the left and right multiplication maps are injective, then the algebra is a division algebra, and vice versa.

5. How can Lemma 1.24 be applied in practical applications?

Lemma 1.24 has practical applications in various fields, such as abstract algebra, linear algebra, and computer science. For example, it can be used to prove theorems about division algebras and to classify different types of algebras. In computer science, it can be applied in the study of binary operations and data structures.