Left/Right Communication with Alien Race by Richard Feynman

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential solution to a problem using a magnetic field and triboelectric series. The proposed solution involves creating a magnetic field going from down to up, charging a small particle positive, and throwing it in the forward direction away from the alien's body. This results in the particle moving to the right, and the direction of left is considered the opposite. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in defining north and south poles and positive and negative charges, but suggests using the right hand rule for determining direction. Ultimately, the goal is to help the alien understand the relationship between positive charges and the right direction in a magnetic field.
Karim Habashy
Hi all,

I was thinking about the problem and can someone verify my solution :

1) Set up a Magnetic field going from down to up, i.e north pole is at the bottom.
2) Use the triboelectric series to charge some small particle positive (hair or glass with teflon)
3) Throw that particle in forward direction in the magnetic field (i.e away from the aliens body).
4) The direction the particle goes to is Right.
5) Left is the opposite

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does this accomplish?

Karim Habashy said:
1) Set up a Magnetic field going from down to up, i.e north pole is at the bottom.
2) Use the triboelectric series to charge some small particle positive (hair or glass with teflon)
3) Throw that particle in forward direction in the magnetic field (i.e away from the aliens body).
4) The direction the particle goes to is Right.
5) Left is the opposite
You have omitted some details.

How do you define what is north and what is south?

How do you define what is positive and what is negative?

The definition of the magnetic field includes a cross product, which uses the right hand rule already.

Separation Between Positive and Negative charges can be done by the Triboelectric Series, but the difference between North and South poles of a magnet is not easy(Since there is no magnetic Monopole) and i assumed its know for the alien, i will keep looking for other solutions.

I wanted to help the alien learn about the right direction from the Positive charge behaviour in a magnetic field which follows the RHR.

Thanks

What is the significance of Richard Feynman's theories on left/right communication with alien races?

Richard Feynman was a renowned theoretical physicist who proposed a theory on left/right communication with alien races in the 1960s. His ideas were based on his understanding of the laws of physics and the concept of mirror symmetry. It sparked a lot of interest and discussion among scientists and the general public, and continues to be a popular topic of debate today.

What does Feynman's theory suggest about how aliens may communicate with us?

According to Feynman's theory, aliens may use a form of communication that is based on left/right symmetry. This means that their language, symbols, and gestures may have a mirror image or opposite version that conveys a different meaning. This would allow for more complex and nuanced communication between the two species.

Has there been any evidence or communication attempts that support Feynman's theory?

As of now, there is no concrete evidence or communication attempts that directly support Feynman's theory. However, some scientists believe that certain instances of unexplained phenomena, such as crop circles, could potentially be a form of left/right communication from extraterrestrial beings.

What are some potential challenges in communicating with an alien race using Feynman's theory?

One of the main challenges in using Feynman's theory for communication with aliens is the assumption that they would have a similar understanding of left/right symmetry as humans. If their perception or concept of symmetry is vastly different, it could make it difficult for us to interpret their communication accurately. Additionally, the complexity and subtlety of this form of communication could also pose challenges.

How does Feynman's theory tie into the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI)?

Feynman's theory has been a topic of interest in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, as it offers a potential framework for understanding and decoding any potential messages from alien civilizations. It also highlights the importance of considering different forms of communication and being open to unconventional methods of communication in our search for ETI.