Leg muscles’ force as a system of levers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to break down a total force exerted by a person's legs into smaller forces exerted by each muscle group involved. It is noted that this is an underdetermined problem and requires an optimization criterion to get a unique solution. The process involves using inverse-dynamics to get external joint torques and muscle optimization to balance these torques. Software such as "OpenSim" can be used for this purpose, and simplifying the problem to 2D and a few muscles may make it solvable by hand.
KataruZ98
TL;DR Summary
How can I calculate the force exerted by each muscle group in a jump?
If I know a person has exerted total force F with their legs and I’m interested in breaking down said force in smaller forces exerted for each involved muscle group - how can I do it? With a basic level of understanding of human anatomy I can divide the leg as a series of levers but how can I specifically find force exerted by each lever?

EDIT: I’m aware “smaller” is not the correct word, but still..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KataruZ98 said:
If I know a person has exerted total force F with their legs and I’m interested in breaking down said force in smaller forces exerted for each involved muscle group - how can I do it? With a basic level of understanding of human anatomy I can divide the leg as a series of levers but how can I specifically find force exerted by each lever?
Note that this is an underdetermined problem, so you need to specify an optimization criterion to get a unique solution. You use inverse-dynamics to get the external joint torques from the ground reaction force, and then muscle optimization to get the muscle forces that balance these external torques.

You can use software for that:
https://simtk.org/projects/opensim

If you simplify it to 2D and just a few muscles, then you might get something that you can solve by hand.

Last edited:
Likes KataruZ98
A.T. said:
Note that this is an undermined problem, so you need to specify an optimization criterion to get a unique solution. You use inverse-dynamics to get the external joint torques from the ground reaction force, and then muscle optimization to get the muscle forces that balance these external torques.

You can use software for that:
https://simtk.org/projects/opensim

If you simplify it to 2D and just a few muscles, then you might get something that you can solve by hand.
Ah, I see. Thank you very much, I’ll see what I’ll be able to do.

A.T. said:
undermined
I suspect that the correct word is underdetermined.

There are some nasty repetitions in there to entice the fingers to skip ahead in the sequence and no spell check to save you.

jbriggs444 said:
I suspect that the correct word is underdetermined.
Yes, thanks. Fixed it.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What are levers and how do they relate to leg muscles' force?

Levers are simple machines that consist of a rigid bar or beam that pivots on a fixed point, called a fulcrum. Leg muscles' force acts as the input force in this system, while the bones and joints of the leg act as the levers, allowing for movement and force generation.

2. How do the different types of levers affect leg muscles' force?

There are three types of levers: first-class, second-class, and third-class. In first-class levers, the fulcrum is located between the input and output forces, while in second-class levers, the output force is located between the fulcrum and input force. Third-class levers have the input force between the fulcrum and output force. The type of lever affects the efficiency and range of motion of the leg muscles' force.

3. Can leg muscles' force be increased through the use of levers?

Yes, levers can increase the force of the leg muscles by providing a mechanical advantage. This means that the output force can be greater than the input force, allowing for more force generation with less effort. However, this also means that the range of motion may be limited.

4. How does the length of the lever affect leg muscles' force?

The longer the lever, the greater the mechanical advantage and the more force can be generated with less effort. However, longer levers also mean a smaller range of motion. The length of the lever must be balanced with the desired force and range of motion for optimal efficiency.

5. Are there any other factors besides levers that affect leg muscles' force?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect leg muscles' force, such as the strength and size of the muscles, the angle of the joint, and the coordination and technique of the movement. Additionally, external factors such as weight, resistance, and friction can also impact the force generated by the leg muscles.