Legalization of drug use in Mexico

• News
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the Mexican government is worried that if this bill passes, parents will not let their kids go down to Mexico for spring break. The bill is still up for debate, but if it passes, it is likely that police will start arresting people for small amounts of drugs, rather than just giving them a warning.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Won't they wreck their "Spring Break" industry? No way in hell will American parents let their kids go down there if this passes. Not the ones who have any sense anyway.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/05/01/mexico.drugs.ap/
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) -- Police and business owners from Mexico's beaches to border cities say they are worried a measure passed by Mexico's Congress that decriminalizes possession of cocaine, heroin and other drugs could attract droves of tourists solely looking to get high.

Mexican and U.S. government officials insist that the bill eliminates legal hurdles to prosecuting drug crimes large and small. But it also lays out specific amounts of drugs -- including marijuana, cocaine, heroin and Ecstasy -- that can be legally possessed for personal use.

President Vicente Fox has yet to sign the bill, but his office praised it shortly after Congress approved it Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Won't they wreck their "Spring Break" industry?

Funny...I was thinking just the opposite. In fact I wondered if this wasn't part of the motivation.

The kids that would be doing drugs there are probably already doing the drugs here.

This is issue is about rhe corruption in law enforcement in Mexico. Not that it is going to change anything, but currently a person apprehended with drugs in their possesion is arrested or not arrested depending on how big a bribe he/she can pay the Mexican policeman.

For the most part the Mexican police look the other way where tourists, and booze or drugs are concerened, especially in the resort areas. On the other hand always have a $20 bill ready to hand over if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

edward said:
This is issue is about rhe corruption in law enforcement in Mexico. Not that it is going to change anything, but currently a person apprehended with drugs in their possesion is arrested or not arrested depending on how big a bribe he/she can pay the Mexican policeman.

For the most part the Mexican police look the other way where tourists, and booze or drugs are concerened, especially in the resort areas. On the other hand always have a $20 bill ready to hand over if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

and that's the naive outlook on Mexican police! They really don't need a reason to try to extort you out of money. My cousin went down there ... twice... and let's see, first time the police said they were going to arrest him for literally no reason (they actually said no reason) and he gave them $100 and off he went. Second time they actually brought him into jail for no reason again. He only slipped the guard $20 though and was let loose so that wasn't as worse.

I swear i already made this threads.

MIH is more popular then me :cry: :cry: :cry:

And what parents in their right mind actually "let" their kids go to mexico? The kids just go. If the parents are bad enough/out of position (kids too old) to let (or don't have any control) them go pre-law, what's going to give them the power to stop them now? What parent is naive enough to think "oh going to TJ? I'm sure you won't get drunk off your ass! Go sweetie, have fun on the beach and at the kids playground".

What a great way to help with illegal drug dealersimmagtion

Under pressure from the US government (apparently) -

MEXICO CITY (May 4, AP) - Mexican President Vicente Fox backed off a bill that would have decriminalized possession of small amounts of drugs, sending it back to Congress for changes rather than signing it into law.

Pengwuino said:
I swear i already made this threads.
I'm sorry, little Penguin. I looked before I posted but I did not see your thread. I apologize. Here, have a herring.

Related to Legalization of drug use in Mexico

1. What are the potential benefits of legalizing drug use in Mexico?

Legalizing drug use in Mexico could lead to a decrease in violence and organized crime related to the illegal drug trade. It could also generate tax revenue for the government and create economic opportunities in the legal drug market.

2. What are the potential risks of legalizing drug use in Mexico?

One potential risk is an increase in drug use and addiction, especially among vulnerable populations such as youth. There may also be challenges in regulating and monitoring the legal drug market, as well as potential conflicts with international drug laws.

3. How does the legalization of drug use in Mexico compare to other countries?

Currently, Mexico has decriminalized the possession of small amounts of drugs for personal use, but has not fully legalized drug use. Some countries, such as Portugal and Uruguay, have legalized certain drugs, while others, such as the Netherlands, have toleration policies for drug use. It is important to consider the specific cultural, social, and political contexts of each country when comparing drug policies.

4. What impact could the legalization of drug use in Mexico have on neighboring countries?

The legalization of drug use in Mexico could have a ripple effect on neighboring countries, as it could potentially shift the drug market and trade routes. It could also lead to an increase in drug tourism or cross-border drug trafficking.

5. How can scientific research inform the debate on the legalization of drug use in Mexico?

Scientific research can provide evidence-based insights into the potential consequences of legalizing drug use in Mexico. This includes studies on the impacts of drug use on individuals and society, as well as evaluations of the effectiveness and challenges of drug policies in other countries. This research can help inform the development and implementation of effective drug policies in Mexico.