Length Contraction: Does It Really Occur?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity. It is clarified that these effects are not experienced by an object itself, but only seen by a remote observer. The discussion also touches on the different levels of "reality" in special relativity, including quantities that are the same in all coordinate systems, coordinate descriptions that vary from system to system, and what things "look like" to an observer, which can be distorted due to the finite speed of light.
kent davidge
(Sorry my bad English). I'd like to know if a body traveling near the speed of light really experiences a length contraction or if it SEEMS to be contracted for an observer in a inertial frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
(Sorry my bad English). I'd like to know if a body traveling near the speed of light really experiences a length contraction or if it SEEMS to be contracted for an observer in a inertial frame.
Time dilation and length contraction are something that is never experienced by an object itself, but only seen by a remote observer.

For example, you, right now as you read this, ARE traveling at near light-speed and are MASSIVELY time dilated and length contracted from the frame of reference in which a particle in the CERN accelerator is at rest. Similarly you are somewhat time dilated and length contracted from the frame of reference in which a really some celestial body is moving, AND you are not at all time dilated or length contracted from the frame of reference in which the chair you are sitting in is at rest. And you are all of these things all at the same time. Do you feel any different?

Likes Pushoam
Ohh that's crazy... I understood it now. Thank you!

phinds said:
Time dilation and length contraction are something that is never experienced by an object itself, but only seen by a remote observer.
Well, this was not really the question. The question was if length contraction is something which only appears to happen to an object. While your answer is correct, I think it fails to address this point and may be confusing. The entire point is that in a different inertial system, the object really is shorter. It does not affect the object itself, but it certainly is something physical. Of course, this changes nothing in the object's rest frame and the object will not be any different there. It also is not important that the object is "remote", the only important thing is what frame is used to describe the object, whether the observer is standing right next to the object or is lightyears away.

I think it is also important to stress that what we talk about in SR is not how things seem or appear to an observer. What an observer would actually see is going to be distorted by the finite speed of light and this is a very common misunderstanding.

*&%^$%#, I KEEP using "remote" when it has been pointed out to me over and over that it's a very poor choice of words in this context.

I WAS at least careful to specify in my larger paragraph that everything is relative to reference frames, but your other points are nonetheless good as well. Thanks.

Orodruin said:
I think it is also important to stress that what we talk about in SR is not how things seem or appear to an observer. What an observer would actually see is going to be distorted by the finite speed of light and this is a very common misunderstanding.

Yeah, I think there are maybe three levels of "real" in Special Relativity:
  1. Quantities that are the same in all coordinate systems.
  2. Coordinate descriptions of those quantities, which vary from coordinate system to coordinate system.
  3. What things "look like" to an observer, which is distorted due to finite lightspeed.
To give an example: If someone has a device that periodically flashes a light signal, then:
  1. The device has a certain proper frequency, the number of flashes per unit time, as measured in its rest frame: [itex]F_{proper} = [/itex] (whatever).
  2. It has a different frequency, due to time dilation, as measured in a frame where the device is moving: [itex]F_{measured} = \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} F_{proper}[/itex]
  3. It has yet another frequency, due to Doppler shift, as actually seen by an observer moving relative to the device: [itex]F_{doppler} = \frac{\sqrt{1-\frac{v}{c}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{v}{c}}} F_{proper}[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Yeah, I think there are maybe three levels of "real" in Special Relativity:
  1. Quantities that are the same in all coordinate systems.
  2. Coordinate descriptions of those quantities, which vary from coordinate system to coordinate system.
  3. What things "look like" to an observer, which is distorted due to finite lightspeed.
To complicate matters, "observer" is often used as a synonym for "coordinate system", while all coordinate systems agree on what things "look like" visually to an actual physical observer.

Related to Length Contraction: Does It Really Occur?

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in physics where an object that is moving at high speeds appears to be shorter in the direction of its motion when observed by an outside observer.

2. Does length contraction really occur?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, length contraction is a real phenomenon that occurs when an object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

3. How does length contraction work?

Length contraction occurs because of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that when an object is moving at high speeds, its measurements, including length, will appear different to an outside observer.

4. Can we observe length contraction in everyday life?

No, length contraction is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light, which is not achievable in everyday life. It is only observable in extreme conditions, such as in particle accelerators.

5. How does length contraction affect time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin. Time dilation is the slowing down of time for a moving object, and length contraction is the shortening of an object's length. Both of these effects occur as a result of the theory of relativity and work together to maintain the speed of light as a constant for all observers.