Length Contraction & FTL Speeds: Are Lower Grades Faster?

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical speeds of fictional spacecraft in Star Wars and whether or not they can be explained by relativity physics. The moderator notes that science fiction is not bound by the laws of physics and trying to make sense of it may be pointless. The conversation is then closed as it is impossible to answer questions about nonexistent science.
Maximum7
TL;DR Summary
Question on FTL and Length contraction
I’m not a physicist but let’s say hypothetically ;we have the Millennium Falcon. It’s FTL hyperdrive can go Class 0.5 past lightspeed. Then we have an X-wing which has a Class 1 past lightspeed drive. This is all from the lore. MF is 0.5 and X Wing is 1 but MF is faster. Anyway even though the Class 1 is “faster”; is it due to length contraction at FTL that’s make the lower grade drive faster or am I hopelessly off base?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to write a coherent description of something traveling faster than light in special relativity, so your question is like asking what colour is an invisible unicorn. There cannot be an answer in terms of relativity. In particular, length contraction is a phenomenon defined between inertial frames, which necessarily do not exceed lightspeed with respect to one another.

Science fiction is not bound by the laws of physics.

Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "I".

Maximum7 said:
am I hopelessly off base?

In apparently thinking that somebody actually tried to derive the performance characteristics of spacecraft in Star Wars from relativity physics? Yes.

PeterDonis said:
In apparently thinking that somebody actually tried to derive the performance characteristics of spacecraft in Star Wars from relativity physics? Yes.

Tons of nerds do this for a living. Trying to make sense of fictional science I always wondered why in Star Wars that 0.5 past lightspeed was faster than 1. Then I was reading about length contraction and then said hmmmm.

I’m not looking for someone to just say “It’s fiction”. Just humor me then.

Maximum7 said:
Trying to make sense of fictional science

Is pointless if there is no actual science in the fiction. Star Wars does not have any science in it. They just made stuff up to fit the story.

Maximum7 said:
Just humor me then.

Sorry, we can't answer questions about science that doesn't exist.

Thread closed.

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which an object's length appears shorter when it is moving at high speeds. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. As an object moves faster, its time appears to slow down and its length appears to decrease in the direction of motion. This is known as the Lorentz transformation.

3. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction can only be observed at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, objects are not moving at speeds fast enough for length contraction to be noticeable.

4. What is the relationship between length contraction and FTL speeds?

FTL (faster-than-light) speeds are hypothetical and have not been proven to exist. If they did exist, they would violate the laws of physics, including the principles of relativity. Therefore, the concept of length contraction does not apply to FTL speeds.

5. Are lower grades of materials faster due to length contraction?

No, the speed of an object is not affected by its material grade or quality. The concept of length contraction applies to all objects moving at high speeds, regardless of their material composition.