Length Contraction/Relativistic mass question

In summary: I will make sure to double check my work in the future.In summary, the proper length of spaceship A is 60.0m and the proper length of spaceship B is 120.0m. The proper mass of spaceship A is 15000 kg. An observer on Earth watches the two spaceships fly past at a constant speed and determines that they have the same length. Using the Lorentz factor, the speed of spaceship B, relative to an observer on Earth, is 0.934c. The mass of spaceship A, relative to an observer on Earth, is 21000kg.
chef99

Homework Statement

The proper length of spaceship A is 60.0m and the proper length of spaceship B is 120.0m. The proper mass of spaceship A is 15000 kg. An observer on Earth watches the two spaceships fly past at a constant speed and determines that they have the same length. If the speed of the slower ship is 0.70c, find:

a-The speed of spaceship B, relative to an observer on earth

b- The mass of spaceship A, relative to an observer on earth

2. Homework Equations

γ = 1/ √1- v2 / c2

mm = ms / √ 1- v2 / c2

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Use the Lorentz factor to determine the velocity of ship B

γ = proper length B/ contracted length A

γ = 120m /42.8m

γ = 2.8γ = 1/ √1- v2 / c2rearrange to solve for v.
γ2 = 1/ √1- v2 / c2

1 - v2 / c2 = 1/γ2

v2 / c2 = 1 - 1/γ2

v/c = √1- 1/2.82

v/c = √1- 1/7.84

v = 0.934

The speed of spaceship B, relative to an observer on Earth will be 0.934c.

b) The mass of spaceship A, relative to an observer on earth. 3mk

mm = ms / √ 1- v2 / c2

mm = 15000kg / √1- 0.70c2 / c2

mm = 15000kg / √1- 0.49

mm =2100.4
https://www.physicsforums.com/file://localhost/Users/jefferyhewitt/Library/Group%20Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/msoclip1/01/clip_image016.pngThe mass of spaceship A, relative to an observer on Earth, is 2100kg.The main part I am unsure of is question a, I hadn't specifically been taught about the Lorentz Factor, but this is all I could find that seemed to be able to determine the answer. As such I am not sure if I applied it correctly. If someone could give a few pointers that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to (a) is correct. The Lorentz factor ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}## is greater than 1 when ##v\neq 0##. The contracted length would be ##L=L_0/\gamma##. Your answer to (b) is missing a zero, probably a typo. The mass of the moving rocket must be greater than its rest mass, not less.

kuruman said:
The answer to (a) is correct. The Lorentz factor ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}## is greater than 1 when ##v\neq 0##. The contracted length would be ##L=L_0/\gamma##. Your answer to (b) is missing a zero, probably a typo. The mass of the moving rocket must be greater than its rest mass, not less.
Yes it is missing a 0, thanks for the explanation

1. What is length contraction in relativity?

Length contraction is a phenomenon that occurs in Einstein's theory of special relativity, where an object's length appears to shorten when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is due to the fact that time and space are relative and can appear differently to different observers.

2. How does length contraction work?

According to the theory of special relativity, as an object's velocity increases, its length in the direction of motion will appear to decrease to an outside observer. This is because the object is experiencing time dilation, where time appears to slow down for the moving object, causing its length to contract from the observer's perspective.

3. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, objects and speeds do not reach these levels, so length contraction cannot be observed.

4. How does length contraction affect measurements?

Length contraction can cause discrepancies in measurements between two observers with different frames of reference. For example, if an object is moving at a high speed relative to an observer, its length will appear to be smaller to the observer, leading to different measurements of the object's size.

5. What is relativistic mass in relation to length contraction?

Relativistic mass is the mass of an object as measured by an observer in a different frame of reference. It is related to length contraction in that as an object's velocity increases, its mass will also appear to increase due to time dilation and length contraction. This concept is important in understanding the effects of high speeds on the properties of objects.