Length of Standard Flat Key to Prevent Failure

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining the required length of a standard flat key to prevent failure while allowing power and speed transmission. The main issue is that the XY stress exceeds the allowable shear stress, but the professor insists that the problem can still be solved without changing the shaft diameter. The conversation also mentions a link to a derivation that neglects the shear stress. The equations used in attempting to solve the problem are also mentioned.
cmmcnamara

Homework Statement

Hi all, I have a question about a standard flat key being specified to prevent failure. I'm just quickly giving a problem description because once I understand what's going on I can easily run calculations but I'm missing something fundamental.

Essentially the problem I am struggling with is given an allowable shearing stress and an allowable bearing stress, determine the required length of a standard flat key to prevent failure while allowing a certain power and speed transmission as well as a specific diameter. It's simple enough I think, use diameter, HP, and speed to determine the force acting on the key, then solve the resulting stress equations and pick the length which prevents failure. Since the key is standard, it's dimensions should be specified by the shaft diameter. I think my logic on the stresses may be wrong though. Correct me if I am wrong but there should exist 3 stresses acting on the key. If you view the key in a way such that the face lies in XY and the length goes along Z then you should have a shear in xy (stress parallel to the face), a shear in xz (stress parallel to the length face) and a normal stress in the x direction. My problem is that although XY stress doesn't depend on the key length, for my particular problem, it exceeds the allowable shear stress, meaning that I'd have to specify a larger diameter shaft to increase key dimensions. I asked my professor about this but he said we couldn't change the shaft diameter and said the problem was able to be solved. He was in a general bad mood so I couldn't really get him to elaborate any further despite the reasoning I presented him.

Additionally, I've looked around on the web for more info and found a derivation I've seen before here: http://engineering.union.edu/~tchakoa/mer419/MER419_keys-and_couplings.pdf

But this analysis also neglects the shear I am talking about. Am I forgetting something fundamental about strengths? Please guide me!

Homework Equations

σ=F/A
τ=F/A
P=Tω
T=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Already stated above, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Check out this file for a basic analysis:

http://engineering.union.edu/~tchakoa/mer419/MER419_keys-and_couplings.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Length of Standard Flat Key to Prevent Failure

1. What is the standard length of a flat key?

The standard length of a flat key is typically 1.5 times the shaft diameter.

2. Why is the length of a flat key important in preventing failure?

The length of a flat key is important because it determines the amount of contact between the key and the shaft. If the key is too short, it can lead to stress concentration and potential failure of the key or the shaft.

3. Is there a specific formula for determining the length of a flat key?

Yes, there is a formula for determining the length of a flat key. It is L = 1.5d + 2t, where L is the length of the key, d is the shaft diameter, and t is the key thickness.

4. Can the length of a flat key be longer than the standard length?

Yes, the length of a flat key can be longer than the standard length. In some cases, it may be necessary to use a longer key to distribute the load and prevent failure in high-stress applications.

5. How can I determine the appropriate length of a flat key for my specific application?

To determine the appropriate length of a flat key for your application, you should consider the shaft diameter, key thickness, and the amount of torque or load that will be placed on the key. It is also recommended to consult with a mechanical engineer for specific calculations and recommendations.