Lenses often contain thin coatings to reduce reflections....

• Thread starter AlexisFair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, to reduce reflections and UV radiation on lenses, they are often coated with anti-reflective (AR) material which causes the reflections from the inner and outer surfaces to cancel each other out through destructive interference. This results in decreased glare and allows the energy to transmit into the lenses. Additionally, some lenses are made from materials that absorb UV radiation for further protection. It is important to understand the concept of destructive interference in order to effectively use anti-reflective coatings. It may also be helpful to refer to resources beyond the textbook for a deeper understanding.
AlexisFair

Homework Statement

Lenses often contain thin coatings to reduce reflections and UV radiation. Explain how this works.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To reduce reflections on lenses, known as back-glare, they are often coated in what is called anti-reflective (AR). The AR causes the intensity of light reflected from the inner surface and the light reflected from the outer surface of the film to be nearly equal. The two reflections from each side of the film cancel each other out through destructive interference therefore decreasing the glare. In short, AR works by shifting the light waves out of phase resulting in destructive interference minimizing the glare. As the reflections are cancelled, energy still has to go somewhere and thus transmits into the lenses. In addition, most UV blockage is done by making the lens from a material that absorbs UV radiation.This question is very simple for a lot of my classmates but I ten too lose marks on these types of questions as english is not my second language. But yes, is my answer correct and is it clear to read?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is clear to read as far as the English is concerned. Did you write it yourself? More importantly, do you understand what it is saying and do you think you will be able to solve a problem that requires you to use the ideas that your answer expresses?

kuruman said:
Your answer is clear to read as far as the English is concerned. Did you write it yourself? More importantly, do you understand what it is saying and do you think you will be able to solve a problem that requires you to use the ideas that your answer expresses?

Yes I did. I got some help from our textbook but I did not want to plagiarize it. I use my own words as much as possible without changing any of the theories. Yes I do, for the most part I understand the concepts is just my english structure can sometimes mess up what I want to say when i write answers or do essays. Then again, I made this account to double check my work (Also, to gain some help if I'm unclear of something.) and to see if i have made a mistake and to see if i can include more or do more. I'm not the most smartest student but I'm willing to learn and try.

Should I include anything else? Maybe include "destructive interference is when one waves crest meets another waves troph" ?

Last edited:
You have done well. Expressing these ideas in your own words helps your understanding. Yes, I think it will be a good idea to explain destructive interference and write an equation or two showing mathematically what is going on. Since you asked to correct your English, the crest of one wave meets the trough not "troph". If you want to include more, you need to understand more and perhaps go beyond your textbook. You can start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating specifically section 3.3, "Interference coatings." I or someone else could re-check your answer if you choose to add more to it.

What are the benefits of having thin coatings on lenses?

The main benefit of having thin coatings on lenses is that they can significantly reduce reflections. This means that more light will be able to pass through the lens, resulting in clearer and sharper images. Additionally, these coatings can also protect the lens from scratches and other damage.

How do thin coatings reduce reflections on lenses?

Thin coatings on lenses work by interfering with the light that passes through them. The coatings are designed to have a specific thickness, which causes the light waves to cancel each other out, reducing reflections. This process is known as destructive interference.

What types of lenses commonly have thin coatings?

Thin coatings can be found on a variety of lenses, including camera lenses, eyeglasses, and microscopes. These coatings are especially important for lenses that require high levels of clarity and precision, such as those used in scientific research and photography.

Do all lenses require thin coatings to reduce reflections?

No, not all lenses require thin coatings to reduce reflections. Some lenses, such as those made from high-quality glass, may naturally have low levels of reflection. However, in most cases, adding thin coatings can still improve the overall performance and durability of the lens.

How can I tell if a lens has thin coatings?

If a lens has thin coatings, it will typically have a slight green or purple tint when viewed from certain angles. This is because the coatings are designed to reflect certain wavelengths of light. Additionally, some lenses may also have the word "multicoated" or "MC" in their product description, indicating the presence of thin coatings.