Leptogenesis and see-saw before EWSB

• Thread starter Soph_the_Oaf
  • Start date
In summary, Leptogenesis models create a lepton asymmetry before EWSB through the decay of heavy RH neutrinos using the yukawa coupling between the neutrino, higgs, and lepton doublet. This coupling is always present, but after EWSB, the Higgs field takes a vev which causes the coupling to induce both the Dirac mass term and a particular structure for the interactions. The energy required to thermally produce the heavy neutrinos before EWSB goes towards their potential energy or the energy needed for their mass, although their massive properties are not in play yet.
Soph_the_Oaf
Hi everyone

Leptogenesis models create a lepton asymmetry via the decay of heavy RH neutrinos into leptons and a higgs.

Many models of leptogenesis happen before EWSB

The coupling for this interaction is the yukawa coupling between the heavy neutrino and the higgs and lepton doublet. This comes from the dirac mass term introduced by the see-saw model.

What I don't understand is how this interaction, which comes about due to the yukawa couplings with the higgs, can occur before EWSB.

m_D = vh happens after EWSB ... but we seem to be using it in an interaction before EWSB

If anyone could shed some light on that would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The coupling is always there, even before EWSB. What changes upon symmetry breaking is that the Higgs field takes a vev, which in turn makes the coupling induce both the Dirac mass term as well as a particular structure for the interactions.

Likes Soph_the_Oaf
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of this in the wrong direction.. I was thinking more of a Dirac mass term being fundamental and existing before EWSB and then this causing a term with the couplings after the symmetry breaking. But of course its the other way around.

Cheers

I have a slightly related question (although I guess its more general in the sense it could apply to any particles before EWSB)

Before EWSB the neutrinos do not have mass. But to thermally produce the heavy neutrinos, we consider the temperature of the universe relative to the mass (which is the same terminology and thought we would use after EWSB).
Where does this energy that is required to thermally produce the heavy neutrinos go, if they do not have mass yet.
Can I think of it as potential? Or that the mass still specifies the energy needed, its just that the massive properties arent in play before EWSB?

I'm not surprised we need a temp above the mass to thermally produce these particles, but I don't really understand what is happening or how I should picture the situation.

Related to Leptogenesis and see-saw before EWSB

1. What is leptogenesis?

Leptogenesis is a theoretical process that explains the observed asymmetry between matter and antimatter in the universe. It suggests that in the early universe, the decay of heavy particles called "leptons" produced more matter than antimatter, leading to the dominance of matter in the universe.

2. What is the see-saw mechanism?

The see-saw mechanism is a theoretical model that explains the small masses of the neutrinos, which are the most elusive particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It suggests that there are heavy particles, called "right-handed neutrinos", which interact with the known neutrinos and give them their small masses through a see-saw effect.

3. What is EWSB?

EWSB stands for Electroweak Symmetry Breaking, which is a fundamental process in particle physics that explains the origin of mass for the elementary particles. It occurs when the Higgs field, a quantum field that permeates the universe, acquires a non-zero value, leading to the breaking of the electroweak symmetry and the generation of mass for the particles.

4. How are leptogenesis and see-saw related to EWSB?

Leptogenesis and the see-saw mechanism are both theories that attempt to explain phenomena beyond the Standard Model of particle physics, specifically the origin of matter-antimatter asymmetry and the small masses of neutrinos. These theories are often studied in the context of EWSB, as they may provide insights into the underlying mechanisms behind this fundamental process.

5. What evidence supports the theories of leptogenesis and see-saw before EWSB?

Although there is currently no direct experimental evidence for leptogenesis and the see-saw mechanism, these theories are supported by several pieces of indirect evidence. These include the observation of matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe, the small masses of neutrinos, and the success of the Standard Model in describing the known particles and their interactions.