Letters of reccomendation when applying to grad schools of different fields

In summary, when applying to graduate school for multiple fields, it is best to get letters of recommendation from professors in the specific field that you are applying for, but letters from related fields may also be accepted. If you have trouble finding enough letter writers, you can also consider getting letters from other professionals.
brushman
Hi, I am a sophomore physics major. Down the road I could see myself applying for physics, engineering, math, or economics graduate school. I'm assuming down the road I'll of narrowed it down depending on the course work I go through and how my interests change.

So when applying to graduate schools of different fields how are letters of recommendation handled? Am I going to need to get 3 physics professors to write my physics letters and 3 economics professors to write my economics letters, for example? I'm afraid I'll have trouble finding so many letter writers. How would economics admissions look at a letter written by a physics professor?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When applying to graduate schools for multiple fields, you will likely need to get multiple letters of recommendation depending on the school's requirements. Depending on the field, a letter from a professor in a related field may be accepted, but it is best to try and get letters from professors in the field that you are applying for. It is also important to make sure that the professors writing your letters have a good understanding of the field that you are applying for. If you have difficulty finding enough letter writers, you can look into getting letters from other professionals such as employers or research supervisors who can speak to your skills and qualifications.

Related to Letters of reccomendation when applying to grad schools of different fields

1. What is a letter of recommendation and why is it important for grad school applications?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by someone who can attest to your academic abilities, skills, and personal qualities. It is an important aspect of the grad school application process because it provides insight into your potential as a student and can strengthen your application.

2. Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?

You should ask individuals who know you well and can speak to your academic potential and personal qualities. This can include professors, supervisors, or mentors. It is important to choose people who can provide specific and detailed examples of your abilities.

3. How many letters of recommendation should I submit for my grad school application?

This can vary depending on the requirements of each grad school. Generally, most schools require 2-3 letters of recommendation. It is important to check the specific requirements for each school you are applying to.

4. Is it better to have letters of recommendation from professors in my field or from different fields?

It is ideal to have a mix of both. Letters of recommendation from professors in your field can speak directly to your academic abilities and potential in that specific area. However, letters from individuals in different fields can provide a well-rounded perspective on your abilities and character.

5. Should I provide any guidance or information to my recommenders?

Yes, it is helpful to provide your recommenders with a copy of your resume, transcripts, and a brief overview of your academic and career goals. This can help them write a more personalized letter that highlights your strengths and aligns with your goals.