Levi Civita - SO(4) Group Theory: Proving Relation in Landau and Lifshitz

• A
  • Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between the epsilon symbol and group theory in the context of Landau and Lifshitz's second volume on Classical Theory of Fields. The conversation also includes a calculation of the relation using brute force and a question about the proof of the relation. The use of the Minkowski metric is also mentioned and may be a factor in the discrepancy in the results.
Nusc
Landau and Lifshitz, second volume - Classical Theory of Fields, page 7

$$e_mu,nu,alpha,beta e^alpha, beta, gamma, sigma = -2 ( delta^gamma_mu * delta^sigma_nu delta delta^sigma_mu * delta^gamma_nu )
$$
If for example I calculate the following:
$$
e^0,1_alpha,beta e^alpha,beta_0,1 = e_0123 e^2301 + e_0132 e^3201
= 1(+1) +(-1)(-1) = +2$$
If we use LL:

$$-2(delta^0_0 delta^1_1 - delta^0_1 delta^1_0) = -2$$
and one can do that for

##e^1,0_alpha,beta e^alpha,beta_0,1## and you get the opposite result
Same with

##e^0,1_alpha,beta e^alpha,beta_1,0## and you get the opposite result

I don't think LL is correct.

I have been told that this relation can be proved using group theory, in particular, methods for SO(4)

I don't think it's true but I wanted to know if anyone here could do it since I don't know group theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly suggest you use Latex for your formulas and give a little context and conventions.

Did you try the wikipedia page on epsilon symbols,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol

at "Four dimensions".? Also, be aware of the normalisation constants in antisymmetrization. E.g., a lot of authors define ##T_{[ab]} \equiv \frac{1}{2!} \Bigl(T_{ab} - T_{ba} \Bigr)##.

I calculated that relation by brute force and I am off by a negative sign. That's why I want the proof.$$e_{\mu,\nu,\alpha,\beta} e^{\alpha, \beta, \gamma, \sigma} = -2 ( \delta^{\gamma}_{\mu} * \delta^{\sigma}_{\nu} -\delta^\sigma_\mu * \delta^\gamma_\nu )
$$

$$
e_{0,1,\alpha,\beta} e^{\alpha,\beta,0,1} = e_{0123} e^{2301} + e_{0132} e^{3201}

= 1(+1) +(-1)(-1) = +2
$$If we use LL:
$$-2(\delta^0_0 \delta^1_1 - \delta^0_1 \delta^1_0) = -2$$

<mentor edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Your index placement is impossible to understand without proper LaTeX. Anyway, you seem to be missing a sign from lowering/raising some indices in your brute force computation (depending on what exactly your definitions are).

I tried a latex edit, poor results, I'm asking for some more help from others.

How did you raise the indices on the epsilon symbol? You shouldn't use the Minkowski metric, as we're talking SO(4) here.

haushofer said:
How did you raise the indices on the epsilon symbol? You shouldn't use the Minkowski metric, as we're talking SO(4) here.
I think the exact problem is that he did not use the Minkowski metric, while Landau-LIfshitz probably do.

Ah, yes, I read that LL used SO(4), but it was TS his own comment. That could be a reason, indeed.

1. What is the significance of Levi Civita in SO(4) Group Theory?

Levi Civita was a mathematician who made significant contributions to the field of differential geometry. In SO(4) Group Theory, he is known for his work on tensors and their applications in physics.

2. What is the relation that is being proven in Landau and Lifshitz's work?

The relation being proven in Landau and Lifshitz's work is known as the Levi-Civita identity, which states that the commutator of two covariant derivatives is equal to the covariant derivative of their commutator.

3. How does Levi Civita's work impact our understanding of SO(4) Group Theory?

Levi Civita's work helped to develop the mathematical framework for understanding SO(4) Group Theory, particularly in relation to tensors and their transformation properties. His contributions have greatly influenced our understanding of this mathematical concept.

4. What are some real-world applications of Levi Civita's work in SO(4) Group Theory?

Levi Civita's work in SO(4) Group Theory has been applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. His work on tensors has been particularly useful in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

5. How is Levi Civita's work related to other concepts in mathematics?

Levi Civita's work in SO(4) Group Theory is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as vector calculus, differential geometry, and Lie groups. His contributions have also had an impact on fields such as general relativity and quantum mechanics.