Lewis dot diagram configuration

In summary, the placement of valence electrons in Lewis dot diagrams can vary, but it is important to have the correct number of electrons and follow certain rules, such as Hund's rule. The specific placement can depend on the molecule's shape and symmetry, and as long as the correct number is represented, it should not greatly affect the overall diagram.
supernova1203
So I am doing my lewis dot diagram work, does it matter where i put the valence electors?

for example oxygen has 6 valence electrons, i go with using the N E S W (North, east south, west)

I put 2 north, 2 east, 2 south but none of west(6 in total so far)

but the book puts them in the configuration of 2 north 2 east 1 south and 1 west

its the same isn't it? does it matter? I suppose the book is just trying to give the illusion of a full orbit(covering each direction)

I have the same answer as the book, just positioned differently, it shouldn't matter should it?

Physics news on Phys.org
kinda depends.
take for example the Oxygens in H2O and CO2. While they both have 4 valence electrons, they're placed differently. in CO2 they're 'north' and 'south' because of CO2's linear shape, but in H2O they're typically 'north east' and 'north west' because of H2O's bent shape.

specifically about the 6 electrons on oxygen, as an instructor I wouldn't care where you put them as long as you get the number right. (a little symmetry doesn't hurt, though)

a ground state oxygen atom has 2 pairs of electrons and 2 unpaired electrons, so it does matter.
see hund's rule

1. What is a Lewis dot diagram configuration?

A Lewis dot diagram configuration is a visual representation of the arrangement of valence electrons in an atom. It is often used in chemistry to show the number of valence electrons and the bonds between atoms.

2. How do you draw a Lewis dot diagram configuration?

To draw a Lewis dot diagram configuration, first determine the number of valence electrons for each atom. Then, draw the symbol of the element surrounded by dots representing the valence electrons. The dots should be placed around the symbol, with a maximum of two dots per side, before pairing the electrons.

3. What is the purpose of a Lewis dot diagram configuration?

The purpose of a Lewis dot diagram configuration is to show the number of valence electrons in an atom and the bonds between atoms. It can also help predict the reactivity and chemical properties of an element.

4. Can Lewis dot diagrams be used for molecules?

Yes, Lewis dot diagrams can be used for molecules. In this case, the dots represent the valence electrons of each atom, and the lines between atoms represent the chemical bonds.

5. Does a Lewis dot diagram configuration represent the actual structure of an atom or molecule?

No, a Lewis dot diagram configuration is a simplified representation of the electron arrangement in an atom or molecule. It does not show the three-dimensional structure or the location of all electrons.